3 Day Fermentations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxsn0blindxx

Reaction score
I'm on my third brew and the last two have finished fermenting in three days(first one got stuck after day 3 and re-started by shaking to oxygenate). From what I've been reading it sounds like most people's fermentations take a full week. I'm not too concerned about it, but am wondering if I should be or if I am doing something wrong. So far all of my beers have had vigorous bubbling in the airlock within less than 24 hours and by the end of the third day have pretty much stopped bubbling the airlock. I know airlock activity isn't representative of fermentation activity, but my hydrometer readings confirm this.

Brew #2 Oatmeal Stout (partial mash)
Yeast: Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
Starting Gravity: 1.077
Gravity after 3 days: 1.024
Gravity after 10 days: 1.023
7.07% ABV, 70.13% Attenuation
I used a Wyeast smack pack, smacked 3 hours prior to pitching and oxeganted wort by whisking and then pouring through screen on a funnel and then shook the carboy for a couple minutes. It fermented in my basement which is around 65 degrees, possibly dropping to 60 at night or during the day when the thermostat turns down. I had a blanket wrapped around it and a heating pad that I turned on as frequently as possible(auto shut-off).

Brew #3 Nut Brown Ale (AG)
Yeast: Wyeast 1084, washed and re-used 18 days after washing
Starting Gravity: 1.061
Gravity after 3 days: 1.020
5.37% ABV, 67.2% attenuation
I used a starter this time using ~4 cups of 1.020 gravity wort and ~5 tablespoons of yeast and let it sit for 36 hours. This time I forgot to whisk the wort to oxygenate, just poured through a screened funnel and shook the carboy for a couple minutes. Today is day three for this wort so it could go lower, but I am perfectly on target for ABV for this recipe. I let this one ferment upstairs and has had pretty constant 68-70 degree temps. It is also wrapped in a blanket and I turned a heating pad on a couple times when I thought it might get cooler overnight.

There are tons of factors influencing how long a fermentation will take. I've had some be done in 72 hours, others take a week. On both brews you listed it seems you got stuck... Are you transferring to a secondary after 3 days? 1.020 is a little low for a starter, you usually want to be around 1.040. Starters are also usually good to go 18-24 hours after, and unless you add fresh wort you can start to stress the yeast a little as they will switch from growth to fermentation. If you can use the start within 24 hours, stick it in the fridge.

As for your heating pad, if you're basement stays above 60, you probably don't need a blanket to keep it warm. The interior temp of the beer as it is fermenting will be 5-10F higher than ambient temp.

I could go on, but that should get you started. Plenty more info to read on the forums about all this stuff. I recommend focusing on and changing/improving 1-2 aspects of your method every brew session.

On brew #2 I left it in primary for 10 days since the gravity had not changed since day 3. Brew #3 is still in primary and I intend to leave it there and skip secondary this time around, yeah I know yet another change made.

In regards to the starter, on brew #3 in the process of boiling the starter wort to sterilize, I'm pretty sure it ended up higher than 1.020 although I didn't measure since I figured it was good enough for a starter. I also added some fresh wort the next day to increase the volume of the starter.

I don't think either of these had stuck fermentations based on the ABV and attenuation on brew #2 and brew #3 is spot on for the recipe. Of course if I knew everything I wouldn't be asking for advice from people who obviously know a lot more than I do :p

Back