Simple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellpatrol

Reaction score
Started with unpasteurized orchard juice OG was 1.045ish, added 5 campden tabs and pectic enzyme to each. 24hrs later pitched 1/2 pack Nottingham each with nutrient and a light brown sugar.

after a couple days it was going strong.
3-carboy-56963.jpg

racked at 2 weeks. SG was almost down to 1.000 and still fermenting surprisingly. nottingham usually stalls for me. sulfur smell was worse than any other cider i've done, hopefully that will clear up in a few weeks..
racking-57181.jpg

a glass of some store bought (the carboy on the left). made with nottingham also..
glass-57182.jpg

both carboys had the same odor and taste. the first week of fermentation temps got into the high 70's here which could've made the off flavor.

one had a fruit fly which is probably from the orchard when pressing.

so it's been about 3.5 months and the sulfur smell and taste is still there. i have done a lot of cider and never had this happen. never used campden or unpasteurized before.. its not a normal sulfur smell either, i remember during primary it smelled like vomit, it was awful

is this more common with unpasteurized stuff? campden tabs? with more time should it go away or do something about it now?

Silver can be caused by stressed yeastiest it mite take a while for that to get out I would leave in air lock 6 months bro 12 months...also next time try to ha e more temp control. Will give you a better tasting drink. Cheers!

Silver can be caused by stressed yeastiest it mite take a while for that to get out I would leave in air lock 6 months bro 12 months...also next time try to ha e more temp control. Will give you a better tasting drink. Cheers!

Good call Jackfrost. Stressed yeast develops H2S, or hydrogen sulfide. Try adding some yeast nutrient next time. I has an H2S batch for my first cider, but after adding nutrient to successive batches, not so much.

Back