Priming with Maple syrup (help?/advice)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alehouserock

Reaction score
I am making 2 batches of Christmas beer and was planning on priming a "reserve" batch with Maple syrup.

Has anyone primed with it?

From reading "How to brew" I would get more Maple Flavor with "Grade B"...right?

When I actually make my priming solution, I would boil the syrup in 3 cups water for 10 minutes minutes, cool, and add to my bottling bucket just ahead of the beer just like with corn sugar right?

Grade B has the most pronounced flavor. To be honest, though, I'm not sure how much maple flavor will come out from just priming with it. Because maple has a relatively delicate flavor profile, Papazian suggests using a gallon or more in a batch to get real maple flavor. But having never done it myself, I'm only hypothesizing. I would imagine it would be subtle.

depends on the base beer. However, you're DEFINITELY going to need more than just a priming amount to get any sort of maple flavour. I made a maple robust porter with about 3qt of dark maple syrup, and you can barely tell it's there. You certainly wouldn't detect 'maple' unless I told you it was in there.

I imagine it would be a different story in a cream ale or light lager, though.

Wow, I am glad I asked.

This thing is in secondary. Probably no chance to make a "reserve" I probably wouldn't want to dry hop a christmas beer.

Back