Fermenting Question/problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaklro

Reaction score
This is my third brew. First two were pretty good. Also the is my first post and I am new to hbt. Anyway back to the question. I made a bock and got the fermentaion started at 75 deg as suggested on the label of WLP833 german bock. After I noticed that it started I carried the carboy out to the garage which is 50 - 60 deg and a day later the kraeusen went away and the air lock slowed down a lot. Is that normal or did I shock the yeast. Thanks for any help/advice.

It's probably about finished- that's a high temperature for a lager and it might have fermented out before the temperature dropped. The only way to tell is to check the SG and see where you are. You will want to do a diacetyl rest, too, since you pitched it so warm.

I prefer pitching the yeast at fermentation temperatures, just like with my ales. It seems to get better results, as long as you pitch enough yeast to begin with. I know the instructions say to pitch it warm, but my thinking is that I don't pitch my ales at 90 degrees, and then lower the temperature to 70 degrees, so I don't pitch my lagers 20 degrees too high, either. I know it'll give you a much faster start, though- that's probably why yours seems to have finished so fast.

Welcome to the forum! :mug:

I haven't checked the gravity reading yet, but I moved the wort to the garage after the fermentation was only going for about 3 to 4 hours or so and it slowed down to about 2 bubbles a minute after about one day. However it is still show little activity. Aslo this is my first attemt at all grain and it was a 10 gal batch. I didn't do a stater becuase I am still tring to learn that. :( any way the other batch started fermenting earlier and seen to be doing better. one thing i am not sure of is the temp of the garage when I moved the to batchs out side at the diff. times.

Thanks agian for all the help.

ok here are the gravity's
#1 og 1.051 on thurs. and 1.025 on monday
#2 og 1.046 on thurs and 1.02 on monday

I probably just need to relax, but it just seems weird to have fermentataion go in just a couple of days.

I should just keep making more and more beer till i get the hang of this.:D

Back