Still learning...question #3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barside laundry

Reaction score
Someone set me straight here. I made Northern Brewers Belgian Wit AG this weekend and this was my 3rd ag batch. The directions (mash) said 153 for 60min and 170 for 10min.

Does that mean sparge out with 170 or actually raise the mash to 170 and hold it for 10 and then sparge?

I heated my sparge water to 185 so that it would warm the grain (at least the top inch) up to 170, is that bad?

Should I recirculate the wort before I add the 170 water or after?

Perhaps a timeline is what I looking for!

Thanks

barside laundry said:
Someone set me straight here. I made Northern Brewers Belgian Wit AG this weekend and this was my 3rd ag batch. The directions (mash) said 153 for 60min and 170 for 10min.

Does that mean sparge out with 170 or actually raise the mash to 170 and hold it for 10 and then sparge?

I heated my sparge water to 185 so that it would warm the grain (at least the top inch) up to 170, is that bad?

Should I recirculate the wort before I add the 170 water or after?

Perhaps a timeline is what I looking for!

Thanks

That 170° step is called a mashout. All it does is halt the enzyme process.
It isn't necessary if you are short on time.

yeah, i know several of my buddies who have fancy pump systems who do the 170 mashout. we don't, and i wouldn't trade our beer for theirs. but, since we usually batch sparge, the 170 is reached quickly in the boil kettle anyway.

On Tap

Nightrain Black
CT IPA
Out of Bounds Amber (boundary bay tribute)
Diamond Not IPA (Diamond Knot tribute)
Chuck's Oatmeal Stout
Teeny Tiny Honey

Conditioning:

Munich Lager
CAP
MorBro Persimmon

brewed yesterday:
Princely Ambition IPA
Wild Kat IPA (Snoqualmie tribute)

Up here in Hop Heaven, WA

Back