Rhizome died

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stellaontap

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a hop rhizome in the spring and planted it in a pot. It did not take long to start growing and I transplanted it into the ground.....it started to grow but now it is gone. Any ideas what could have happened?

Thanks,
Eric

Watering and not planting too deep have been my challenges. Planted 6 Centennials, 4th batch planted, one inch deep and they're booming. Previously, planted 3" - 4" deep, had 2/3 die off from each planting.

Sorry it tookso long to reply....the hop variety is Mt Hood. My dad planted them for me so may e they were too deep. I will try again next year and plant them a little less deep. What a pain, I was hoping to use fresh hops this fall

stellaontap: first off, you are more than likely not going to get hop production the first year, unless you are very lucky. Second, if you leave the Mt. Hood in the ground it MAY come back next year. I have had a couple of plants sprout up and die after a few months and come back the next year (I was quite surprised!). That said, it seems some varieties grow and thrive in my area and others grow but struggle. Mt. Hood may not grow well in Ontario...Best of luck!

Thanks Stonebrewer, I hope it comes back...but just in case I will order another rhizome next spring. Any suggestions on a variety that grows well in Ontario?

Cascade, Centennial, Willamette, Hallertau all are grown in BC, but then they are probably warmer than where you are? Canadian Red Vine would be a good choice, methinks. It has a lot of cohumulone which may make it a bit rough tasting, like Chinook, perhaps. I have not brewed with it. It is low in alpha acids at about 5% so it is not a bittering hop. Here are it's stats:

Alpha acids: 5% or less, high cohumulone @ 47%
Aroma: Mild berry/cherry flavors, grapefruit peel aroma
Yeild: Very good- 2000 lbs/acre plus
Storage stability: very good – over 80%
Maturity: Late season
Grower notes: throws a lot of rhizomes compared to others, low resistance to mildews

Thanks Stonebrewer, I hope it comes back...but just in case I will order another rhizome next spring. Any suggestions on a variety that grows well in Ontario?

Like stonebrewer said, some varieties may do well for you and others may not. The only way to determine which will perform the best is to do some trials with a bunch of different varieties over time. Let them go for at least 4 years before you make a decision to yank them or not. Also, you can probably get an idea from these folks; http://ontariohopgrowersassociation.ca/. There are growers scattered throughout Ontario and should be one relatively close to you for you to compare notes with. Soils, climate etc. will determine what you can grow successfully.

Back