I need help finding the perfect recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashhills

Reaction score
I am still "new" to brewing, even though I have been doing it for a couple of years, now. And now I am stuck in a little bit of a hard place.

My sister has helped me a few times, and she thinks I'm an expert (hahaha!). She likes the end product, so I must be doing something right.

Anyway, she has taken it upon herself to tell her coworkers that I am great at home brewing. They had one competition at work, and I at least was allowed to taste the entries. This was a big deal because it is a strictly employee-only event. Well...the person who arranges these events decided that they will do another one JUST so I can participate. This isn't a little mom-and-pop business, it is an international company that I'm sure you have all heard of. Needless to say, I'm scared!

So...the competition is in early November and it has to be a fall seasonal brew. I wanted to make a pumpkin ale, but I don't think I'll have enough time.

Does ANYONE have a fool-proof recipe for a great fall beer? oh...I only do all-grain, I don't have expensive equipment, and I will be bottling it.

I really hope there are no employees on here, that would be embarassing! :eek:

I suggest you check out kingbrianI's caramel amber ale or one of the many good brown ale recipes in here....

A small Amber Ale would be perfect.

1.045 OG. 85% 2-row, 10% crystal and 5% biscuit. Adjust for colour with a small amount of choc malt. I usually use 40L/60L english crystal. American crystal is fine.

Use fine hops for bittering and flavour (hallertauer always goes down well with the BMC crew). An ounce at 60 and an ounce at 15 for about 25 IBU.

Ferment with US-05 at low temps (60-64F) and you're golden. I suggest fining with gelatin if possible. I always brew something like this for the holiday season and it's plain enough to not be too much for your average joe beer drinker, and it's interesting enough for the beer enthusiasts. If you take care of sanitation/temperatures, pretty much any simple recipe will provide you with good, serviceable beer.

I would too recommend brewing something you've already done. Forget about lagers or pumpkin or vanialla or whatever. You're just starting after all.

I hear if they can get 25K signatures, they'll release "the perfect recipe"!!

Please don't flame me for that, I had to..

On a serious note, I'm inclined to suggest brewing something you've already done. If you took notes or if something tasted off you can post questions here and the brewmeisters can help you dial it it. If you brewed something and you don't want to change a thing, you're ready again.

I know it's not "new and exciting" to you but it may be just what the tasters are looking for.

Traditional Bavarian Hefeweizen is very simple, easy to make, and light enough for non-craft beer drinkers, but with the wheat protein to make it hearty enough for the winter. 5.0 gallon batch:

5 lbs Pilsner
5 lbs Wheat
1.0 oz Hallertau @ 60
Wyeast 3068 Yeast

Ferment @ 68F for two weeks
Bottle w/5oz priming sugar & Carb/Condition for 2 weeks
DRINK!

I have a Smoked dirty blond Ale that I just finished that was really good... It tastes almost like a lighter Newcastle it is an extract recipe but you could easily substitute some 2 row for the LME. It is a real easy drinker but with some nice malt flavor.... the recipe is on my blog in my signature if you are interested

Back