Brewing the Pints for Prostates Brewer's Best IPA PSA kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nollie11

Reaction score
I just noticed that the dry yeast that I pitched didn't seem to do anything for 48 hours and the brewer I purchased it from said that the yeast had probably expired. He gave me a free packet of Wyeast 1056 to make good and so I re-pitched that last night and I saw some activity this morning.

I followed the dry yeast instructions exactly:
1. sprinkled it on some room temperature sterilized water
2. let it sit 20 min
3. stir it up gently
4. pour some chilled wort into yeast mixture and stir
5. pitch solution into wort

My question is: will pitching the Wyeast 1056 along side the "dead" dry yeast make for any differences in the eventual beer? Did I just stumble on an awesome recipe or am I doomed for failure?

If the original pack of yeast IS dead, then you just gave the live 1056 yeast some excellent yeast nutrient. (See "servomyces": it is basically dead yeast parts and minerals as good yeast nutrient). The beer will be good.

If the original pack was slow, and you pitched 1056 on top of it, you might experience a slightly different character than a beer made with "pure" 1056, as the remaining viable cells from the first pack might have some expressed character from that strain. This might be difficult to replicate, but the beer will still be good.

If all the other steps in your process were solid (sanitation, mashing [if applicable], boiling, hop additions, etc.), you will still have an awesome beer.

Let us know how it turns out! You should have a great beer on your hands!

thanks - I'm really looking forward to it...it will be my 3rd batch ever...

so, basically what I've learned from your post, in addition to eating sugar, yeast also eat their fallen comrades? cool...

:off: Question - What is cheaper? Yeast nutrient or cheap, bargain-basement no-name yeast? Just a thought, but would it be worthwhile to pick up some packages of the cheapest yeast you can find and leave it in the package. Then maybe put it in the oven (a couple hundred degrees for 10-15 min to kill it).

Then keep it around as cheap yeast nutrient. You certainly wouldn't need a whole 5 gram or so package to feed a new batch or wake up a stuck batch.I have a vacuum sealer. Could probably use what I need and seal the rest until I used it again.

I could be way off base. But it sounds like it should work in theory at least.

Shoot- good idea- I mean, Servomyces is just yeast that was fortified and killed to act as a yeast nutrient and still comply with the Reinheitsgebot-

Most all (even bargain-basement) yeasts are fortified and packed with nutrients for the best fermentation "kick off" possible...

Therefore, you could plausibly add a cheapo, no-name dry yeast packet to the last ten minutes of your boil as a sort of yeast nutrient...

Biologists out there- what am I forgetting or missing? Why has nobody thought of what Winvarin was just talking about?

Why did I spend too much on some Servomyces?

I just brewed this kit, cracked em open last week and only have about 18 left. It turned out pretty damn good, it wasnt nearly as hoppy as I was expecting but I can pinpoint a few errors I made on brewday.

I also fermented it in a 5G carboy with a blow off tube which was pretty damn dumb. Ive since upgraded to 6G Better Bottles.

What was it that you did to make it not as hoppy as you would have liked?

I am looking forward to this beer and I will be racking it to the secondary after a week...

I was going to grab some Cascade hops from my buddy to do a dry hop in the secondary, and now since you're saying it didn't come out as hoppy as you would have liked, you're reinforcing my idea :rockin:

Back