Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian-d

Reaction score
What is the preferred method of dry hopping? Muslin hop sacks, or just let it float? If let float free, what is the best way to keep the hops out of the bottle or keg? What do most prefer to use as dry hop material (whole or pellet) and why? I have a recipe that says to dry hop for two weeks. Seems like a long time.

I just open the bucket and drop in pellet hops. And I usually dry hop anywhere from 5-7 days, depending on what's brewing.

I keg most of my beers and I usually let the beer carb up for a week or so. The first pull or two is cloudy, yeast and hop residue that transferred over from racking, but the rest is clear. Works for me.

I prefer to dry hop with whole hops, but many do it with pellets. Depending on what your primary vessel is should determine how you dry hop. If you are using a bucket, some sort of hop sack (for pellets or whole hops) makes things much easier when transferring. It keeps most hop material away from the siphon and makes clean-up a breeze. If you are using a carboy, the neck makes using a sack almost impossible (at least for whole hops). Getting the hop sack out of the carboy is out is a pain in the ass for either type of hops. I personally do not use hop sacks at all. There is no right or wrong amount of time for dry hopping. I've brewed an Imperial Stout that was dry hopped for 6+ weeks. You should experiment with it and find out what you like - two weeks is not too long.

in a bucket i would use a bag, but in a carboy i wouldn't, just because i hear its hard to get out.

in a bucket i would use a bag, but in a carboy i wouldn't, just because i hear its hard to get out.

better bottles may be an exception to the hard to bet out part. i stuffed two 1oz bags of whole hops into a better bottle and was able to get them out really easily. right after i put them it i started regretting it thinking they would be a chore to get out but after flipping the better bottle over and grabbing the draw string, they pulled right out.

Yeah, most glass carboys have smaller openings and better bottles have quite large ones

Back