HF: Everett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbone78

Reaction score
I was up n Vermont this past week and one of the best brews I had (if not ever had) was Everett. I am back in Florida thinking about recreating that awesome beer.

Has anyone else tried this one?

So far the facts that I have...

OG 1.085ish
FG 1.030ish

Grains: pale, caramel, chocolate, roasted barley.

Hops: Columbus

Yeast: ale

Now, my questions...

Hop schedule? Columbus at what times?
Mash temp? 160-156 ish
Yeast? Looking for something with low attenuation.

Anybody got any ideas?

The crutch of this beer is the high F.G. Honestly, he could use pretty much any combination of caramel and roasted malts and still get BA hype, as the amount of residual sugar in that beer is going to give the perception of big, complex flavor. Had this beer finished at 1.015ish or lower, recipe particulars would be much more important. (And it would probably be a better beer). I've had more than a few bottles of it.

That said, I'd try for something like this:

Pale malt, 2-row
8-10% English crystal 75-90L
5-8% Weyermann Carafa II
3-5% English Roasted Barley.

Hopping, Columbus at 60min and a small flavor addition at 15min, for around 45 IBU.

Mash hot, 156-160F.

Yeast, some say he uses an American Ale derivative or the Boddingtons strain. Regardless, the boddies yeast (wyeast 1318) would be a fantastic choice for this type of beer and its low attenuation would help achieve that high F.G. Regardless, don't try and get a low F.G through under-pitching. That is just plain bad brewing practice and isn't recommended unless you have impeccable control over your fermentation and yeast health. If I were brewing this, I'd probably cold crash the beer once it got down to 1.030 and keg it to to retard further fermentation.

That should get you started. Good luck!

You mentioned "he" a couple of times in your post. I assume you are talking about the brewer? Do you know him or anything about him, such as where he studied?

Thanks for your thoughts I am thinking about the same thing. Except for the cold crashing part.

-j

Lucky you, they just published the recipe in BYO this month (October issue). Probably can peruse a copy at your local homebrew store.

Back