frozen yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlsbrew

Reaction score
I work out of town and only get to go home on the weekends, as such I have to rely on SWMBO to handle UPS, FedEx deliveries. When I asked about the shipment of beer stuff I was expecting, she answers "oh yeah that came a couple days ago but it was heavy so I left it on the porch. There were several smack-packs in the shipment that have now been outside in sub freezing temps for 2 1/2 days. Will this affect the yeast or should it be ok?

I freeze Pizza dough all the time without any problems..

I highly recommend a starter, 1000ml water to 100g DME @70 degrees F

I have to commend northern brewer for their packing job, the yeast arrived in a padded (insulated) envelope packed in a box, inside of a box wrapped in bubble wrap. I think the packing materials provided enough insulation that al will be ok!

I just saw you are from texas. When you say sub freezing im sure its like 30* right? I was picturing 16* days and near 0* nights in which case it would have been a yeast ice cube. If it was closer to the 30's, your probably OK. Either way Id make a starter first as some of the yeast surely died off.

Back