Did I make bottle bombs from cold crashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
I recently cold crashed a 5gal batch of brown ale in my fridge, and took it out a couple hours before bottling. I'd have to guess it was around 45-50F by the time I bottled it. From what I've read, I use the volume of corn sugar based on my fermentation temp, not my bottling temp, since CO2 cant magically generate itself and go into the solution just because I cold crashed it.

Anyways, it's been 7 days and I tried one today, and it's already very carbed. I'm wondering if I put too much in? I used the standard 5oz/5gal batch. Bottom line is I don't want my beer closet to turn into a ticking timebomb with a bunch of bottle bombs.

Any comments?

Cold crashing helps settle out the yeast so it would have the opposite effect. If your carbonation is getting super high you might have picked up an infection. Put the bottles in the fridge to slow it down. It's hard to tell what exactly is going on without more information. What were your gravity readings?

Bottom line is that 5 oz for 5 gallons is NOT too much.

Are you sure that fermentation was complete before you cold crashed? If fermentation was not finished, its possible that you slowed the yeast to a halt when cold crashing and then fermentation started up again in the bottles when warmed to room temp.

It's quite possible that it's simply done eating the priming sugar already. If it's warm, it's probably just carbed up. 5 ounces of priming sugar in a 5 gallon batch won't overcarb a beer. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

if your worried wrap your bottle box in a big trash bag. if one does explode the sharp glass will stay in the box and the liquid beer will stay in the bag.

I have them taped up in 2 cases, so I guess I don't need to worry about damage. I doubt there's any infection, as I'm really good w/sanitizing everything. I guess it's just a fast carbing beer.

Fermentation was definitely done, as it had been in the primary for a whole month before bottling. Grav reading was 1.011, 1 pt below target so I know it didn't stall.

I guess time will tell. It tastes great so far.

Back