Removing Coriander seeds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cphair16

Reaction score
I'm about to brew my second beer, Belgian Trappist Strong Ale. The recipe requires me to remove the coriander seeds from the wort after boiling. Should I use a filtered funnel when transporting from the wort to the primary? If not what is the best way to remove the seeds?

It depends on what you're boiling in. Is it a kettle with a spigot? Do you have a hop stopper (orsimilar device) in the kettle? If siphoning, are you whirlpooling to cone your trub? The best way is to use some type of nylon or fine mesh SS filter to keep the "junk" out. Depending on your kettle setup andd transfer method, this could me any one of a number of solutions.

A few brews I have done with the coriander seeds said the same things... I noticed that the seeds ended up mixing with the trub and didn't transfer in great amounts... If you do a simple screen or even just making sure not to pick up trub if your using an auto siphon then you will be ok when dropping to the fermenter...

If you can't filter easily, don't worry. I have brewed with corriander, and usually ADD corriander as part of my 'dry hop' to the primary. How much, and when in the boil process did you use? Did you use any orange peel also?

If you are planning to rack to secondary (usually a good idea with big beers), it shouldn't be a problem to leave them in primary. You just don't want the beer sitting on all the extra junk for a long ferment.

You could use a large fine mesh colander that has been sterilized also, but unless it is very big, will take someone to hold it over the primary bucket. If you are using a carboy for primary, a filtered funnel will work . What do you have on hand?

Post your recipie if

Latest posts

Back