Can I get a little advice on my brew plan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajl

Reaction score
Alright, I'm in the process of brewing my first two batches of beer. My goal is to have two different beers ready for my vacation at the end of February.
I brewed my first batch (Amber ale) from an extract kit I bought from my local shop on 1/11. I racked it to a glass carboy after 11 days so I could start another batch in my fermenter. I did that on 1/22 (another extract kit- Nut Brown Ale).
My "plan" is to bottle both batches on 2/5.
That'll give me on batch 1 - 11 days primary, 14 days secondary, 21 days bottled
Batch 2 - 14 days primary, 21 days bottled
Would it be better to bottle earlier? I haven't tested batch 2 yet with a hydometer.

Thanks in advance, this forum rocks

Skip the secondary unless your adding fruit.

Most beers are done fermenting in a week or less. More time in primary is useful for clarity and aging.

3 weeks in bottle is nice. Allthough beers can carb in less time and sometimes more time.

So 2-3 weeks in primary AMD your good assuming the hydro agrees.

Skip the secondary unless your adding fruit.

Thanks, I racked to the secondary so I could start the next batch. The first batch wasn't ready to bottle at that point. Is it better to have more time in the bottle?

Your hydrometer tells you what to do, when. It is not date specific.

All conditions vary.

You will brew good beer. Then you will brew a variety of beer. That variety will allow you to offer others a beer on a specific date.

Time is your friend.

Brew often, follow the guidelines and you, and your friends will be happy.

Back