University Party Prep. for St. Patty's!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeamusMac

Reaction score
Hey HBT,

I'm primarily a n00b and a lurker but I've posted before and the comments have been greatly appreciated so I thought I'd discuss my plans for my St. Patty's home brew.

Projected Price: $90 Canadian

I'll be starting this week, so for arguments sake we'll say I have 7 weeks from pitching the yeast to drinking the brew.

The plan is to start 2 batches of my local home brew stores (Noble Grape) blonde ale simultaneously using their own blend of LME, dextrose and hops, which they recommended over Light DME. The brew will stay in the primary for 3 weeks at which point I'll cold crash and bottle it. After conditioning it for approximately a month my room mates, our guests and I will be able to enjoy the results!

25Aug05_003.jpg

I'll be using a setup similar to the one pictured above. Leaving the lid unbuckled during the first few days of aggressive fermentation then popping the lid down once the airlock can handle it.

Sounds like a good plan. I've not heard of leaving the lid unclicked before, but you know your kit better than I do, and I'm sure it'll work just fine.

Have you considered maybe trying one batch of their beer and one batch of your own beer made from DME and hops? If you wanted an extract recipe for a great blonde beer, you could check out Edwort's pale ale:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

Good luck with it - let us know how you get on! :mug:

I'd love to try the extract version of that pale ale, although I'm afraid some of the required ingredients may not be available at my LHBS :( I'm pretty limited in what I can do but that's ok for right now, I'm just starting off haha.

Also, I have read about and heard mention of using maltose as an additive to the brewing process to give the beer a creamier mouth feel. Can anyone vouch for this in a blonde ale?

Back