Fashionably Late Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tre9er

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Chico (US-05/WLP001/WY1056)
Yeast Starter
Yes, if liquid
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7-10@62ish
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3-5 @ 68-70
Tasting Notes
Huge hop flavor/aroma, not overly bitter, sweet, dry but not hot. NZ Hops SHINE!
Pale Ale Malt 14lbs. 87.5%
Crystal 40L 2lbs. 12.5%

Brewhouse efficiency: 83% (YMMV. Overnight mash has upped my eff)

Mash low, 149-150 (I mashed 153 overnight, which drops to 144 by the morning and creates a HIGHLY fermentable wort)

*This is a 30m boil! You can boil for 60 and just follow the hop schedule starting at 30m left in the boil if you want, but I had NO DMS as I had good hot break, rapid chilling and good fermentation. A real time-saver.

Nugget------1.00oz--30m
Pacific Gem--0.5oz---15m
Motueka-----0.5oz---15m
Pacific Gem--1.00oz--5m
Motueka-----1.00oz--5m
Motueka-----1.5oz---Dry
Pacific Gem--1.5oz---Dry

You can sub anything you want for the Nugget. I like the profile of this hop so much for pales/IPA's and even use it for lightly hopped blondes, etc. If you want you can go all NZ hops and use Pac Gem/Motueka/both in place of the Nugget. I achieved 17 IBU's from the 30m addition.

Irish Moss at 15m if you want, I do.

I used a US-05 repitch, a quick-turn starter (18hours since innoculation) because I had a lot of cake but I like to get it going after it's been in the fridge for more than a few weeks.

Fermented in the low 60's until terminal gravity (don't let it go too long), then secondary or just add dry-hops to primary for another 3-5 days at more of a "room temperature".

Enjoy it fresh, although I bottled some and they're still great after a month or two. The New Zealand hops give it a taste/aroma like very few American Pale Ales. One of the best beers I've made.

Here's a 5.25G recipe:

Pale Ale 8.3lbs 87.4%
American Crystal 40 1.2lbs 12.6%

Nugget------0.6oz--30m
Pacific Gem--0.3oz---15m
Motueka-----0.3oz---15m
Pacific Gem--0.6oz--5m
Motueka-----0.6oz--5m
Motueka-----0.8oz---Dry
Pacific Gem--0.8oz---Dry

Rebel Brewer has these NZ hops for a good price, which is where I got them. Relatively cheap beer to brew, but your friends will love it.

Back