It is worth saving the yeast when there's a Ton of trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to start saving/washing yeast and the batch I have currently in Primary has roughly 3 inches of trub. Does anyone bother harvesting yeast when they have that much trub? Or do you just toss it. My next batch isn't going to be a porter or stout. So I really don't want to just pitch ontop.

Where do you draw the line on saving your yeast?

Thanks Rev, I figured that was the case. Wasn't sure if the more trub made the washing process much longer or if there was diminishing returns on reclaimed yeast.

One thing I've done is after a couple washings, when I'm sure the yeast is on top of the trub, and everything's settled for awhile, is to take a sanitized turkey baster and carefully vacuum the yeast off the trub and into my mason jars. Just slow and carefully.

One thing I've done is after a couple washings, when I'm sure the yeast is on top of the trub, and everything's settled for awhile, is to take a sanitized turkey baster and carefully vacuum the yeast off the trub and into my mason jars. Just slow and carefully.

Crap! So simple. Wish i thought of that.

On beers I plan to reuse the yeast from, I definitely plan on removing the cold break from the wort before pitching. It's not as crucial to rinse it later then.

If I'm going to re-pitch from a batch, I chill to 40F (super chiller) and let it sit for 4+ hours. Then push the wort off the break to another fermenter...I use half barrel sanke kegs. For ales, I turn the fermwrap on and let the wort warm before pitching, doesn't take long. For lagers, the temp is usually just right after pushing. Looking forward to getting conicals so removing break is as easy as turning a valve handle.

Back