Sparge in a bag with hop tea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattang

Reaction score
I have started doing mash in a bag as it seems to work very well for relatively small batches. The biggest kettle I have can only produce about a 6 gallon batch. I've read different opinions about sparging the grains in the bag. I was wondering if it would be possible to boil the hops in a separate kettle while the grains were mashing in the bag in the first kettle. Then I could use the hopped water to sparge the grains and top up the first kettle to the boil volume. Is there any scientific reason why this would not work or be inefficient? I've also read about immersing the bag of grains in the second kettle to allow the sugars to rinse out like a big tea bag. I'm just starting out so any constructive comments would be very helpful.

I am brewing 5 to 6 gallon batches. Third one coming up. I am going to mash in a bag on top of the stove. Probably mash in 3 gallons (at 154F) and sparge in 3 gallons (at 170F). If that's what your doing it should work out.

goog luck, Mike

Thinking of boiling the hops in just water and using that to sparge and am wondering if there's any reason why this wouldn't work.

Is this an all grain method? Kinda makes sense to me.hour long hop boil?hour grain steep? will you lose half of your hop utilazation if you go 50/50? You need to boil your hops with sugars at some point to get utalization.

I'm kind of thinking the same thing for my mini mash tomorrow. I will start a boil in vessel number 1, which I will place my 60 min hop addition. I'll do this first so the liquid can cool to sparge temp. Then in vessel number 2, I'll start the mash with pre-heated strike water (BIAB). Dough in and wait 60 minutes. Next drain the grains and sparge with the hop tea.

By doing this you could save a fair amount of time.

Latest posts

Back