Competitions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougan

Reaction score
I've finally perfected a recipe for an IPA. I'd really like to have a "professional" opinion. But I'm not aware of any competitions in the WI area in the near future-- I'd figure it'd mellow out by the time spring comes along. Anybody have any recommendations?

Just got an e-mail about a competition in Chatanooga. I don't know if they have any restrictions on who can enter, but seeing as how they invited the Little Rock brewers to participate, I'd imagine the more the merrier. I bet they'd judge your beer.

Full text follows:

The Barley Mob is proud to announce the First Annual Fugetaboutit Homebrew Competition. It will be held at the Terminal Brewhouse on Saturday, December 12th at 8 AM. We are currently accepting entries for ALL BEER STYLES. Sorry Cider and Mead.

- AHA/BJCP Sanctioned: The 2008 BJCP Style Guidelines will be used for judging.
- Please register online, and print forms for each entry.
- Send 2 bottles per entry in brown or green bottles, 12-14 oz only. Please attach bottle ID form to both of your bottles.
- Entries are due Monday, November 30th, 2009.
- All entries are $5.00 apiece. NOW THAT IS A BARGAIN.
-No limit on how many entries you have per sub-category, but you can only place once in a sub-category. IE: Submit 8 Pale Ales. You can only place with one.

- Make entry fee payments via check payable to “The Barley Mob,” or use our online PayPal entry thing.

Entries can be mailed to the following location:
Barley Mob Brewers

c/o Tony GIannasi
2214 Mourning Dove Lane
Signal Mountain , TN 37377

Once again, entries are due by November 30th. Winners in each category will receive prizes and competition medals.

We are expecting 200 – 250 entries, and seriously, check out our sponsor page. There are some REALLY COOL prizes at this competition. SERIOUSLY. TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW. More sponsors added every week!!!

Also, if you're in the area and would like to help judge please click here. We can always use you! The Terminal Brewhouse is RIGHT NEXT TO the Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel.

Thanks,
Tony Giannasi

President, Barley Mob Brewers

423-762-8741

[email protected]

http://www.barleymob.com

http://www.facebook.com/barleymob

Hope that helps.

Terje

PS-I may be entering an IPA, so you better not beat me! :D

Thanks for the heads up on that. Would they require you to be present for any of it, though? Seems a little far. :)

I doubt I'd win. I'd just like to see how it scores.

He seems a little too enthusiastic and shuskster-y. I'm sure the competition is great, but I always hate when someone tells me I'm getting a deal from them.

You can always check the AHA Competition Calendar for AHA/BJCP sanctioned competitions. Unless otherwise specified, those competitions should be open to anyone willing to send in the beer and the entry fee.

I cannot imagine you need to be present to win anything, either, as many competitions strongly encourage entries from other places. Typically, the competition organizer just mails you whatever you may have won. If you don't win anything, you just get your scoresheets in the mail.

I don't know if I would call it a bargain, but $5 is well on the low side for entry fees.

TL

Hey guys,

Tony G. here, I'm organizing the Fugetaboutit Competition in Chattanooga, TN.

To answer your questions:

-No, you don't have to be present. HOWEVER, we are posting the results of each category AS THEY ARE FINALIZED, LIVE on the website and our facebook page.
-We will ship you your scoresheets, and / or ribbons and prizes very shortly after the competition.
-Yes, I am quite shuskery.
-$5 IS a bargain, when most comps are doing $6 and $7 per entry.

Our mantra for the competition is quick turnaround, lots of communication, and quality scoresheets.

Please enter! I love beer.

I will judge your beer for you. I will also do it for free, but you need to send 6 bottles (I just don't know how these other people can do it with 2 bottles.)

The best part (beside me drinking your beer) is that you don't have to worry about losing!

Latest posts

Back