Where to find a 0.5 micron reusable filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chugmaster

Reaction score
I cannot for the life of me find a cheap reusable 0.5 micron 10" filter to fit my whole-house filtration system that I'm setting up to run between two kegs.

I want to use this to filter my beer.

Based on my research, it seems that a pleated filter is the most reusable, preferably one made of polypropylene.

All that I can find is 0.35 micron and 1 micron in the pleated type. I don't want to filter down to 0.35.

Please no debating the merits of filtering or telling me to refine my brewing technique. Yes, I hot break, cold break, Irish Moss, cold crash, gelatinize, and repeat.

What do you mean by reusable? Meaning 5gal can go through it and then you can do another couple thousand later? If so, I get particulate filters from spectrapure.

My impression is that when you filter beer, the filter is a one-time deal. Anything that gets stuck to the filter would grow/get skunky pretty quick and I would imagine they are impossible to thoroughly sanitize.

I buy water filters pretty cheaply (but in bulk) at waterfilters.net

Sorry, I misread... didn't get that you were looking to filter beer! Those cylindrical cartridges don't (I wouldn't think) have the surface area to filter beer in any reasonable timeframe. I'd also speculate that they wouldn't hold up to autoclave or even boiling temps to sanitize. Maybe worth a test though. I'd backflush thoroughly and then steam before a second use. You might want to utilize a pressure gauge to see how clogged it's getting during the process. If I was into filtering, I'd likely go the disposable route and use a plate n frame housing.

Please note that my question is not WHETHER it is possible, but WHERE to find a cheap filter. It is possible. People do it. There are lots of posts on this board about people doing it.

waterfilters.net. Its 50% off what you would pay at Home Depot, but you need to order 95+ for that price. Don't know if that is too many for you.

Still, I don't think it is possible to reuse filters.

waterfilters.net. Its 50% off what you would pay at Home Depot, but you need to order 95+ for that price. Don't know if that is too many for you.

Still, I don't think it is possible to reuse filters.

All that I see is carbon filters here at 0.5 microns and not sediment filters.

Back