Forgot to sanitize fermenter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paraordnance

Reaction score
Whipped up a batch of traditional and forgot to sanitize fermenter! :drunk: Just realized that after pitched yeast. 2 gal batch, 6 lbs clover honey, 71B, nutrients, rasins. 12 hours and its bubling away. Should I be concerned? I brew beer and occasional mead. Never used un-sanitized fermenter before

I think you should definitely keep us posted. You never know though, it could turn out okay. This might be a good experiment.

what all did you actually do to the fermenter before starting? did you use cleaner, rinse a couple times, anything?

It was 3 gal plastic water jug I use as fermenter. Washed from previous use, stored closed and rinsed with tap water just before I dumped ingredients in. Hope 71B get to work before anything also will.

RDWHAHB...1 packet of dry yeast in 2 gal is a good pitch rate, and 71B is usually a quick starter in my experience... I think it will be fine, and whatever you do, don't freak out and dump it if you taste anything funny -- wait until it's completely done and aged out a bit, and if it still tastes like a$$, then you can lament the fact you brewed an infected batch.

my first mead 16 years ago didn't use any sanitizing (or an airlock!) and it was fine. Granted i bought a fresh jug of apple juice and just put the honey and yeast in it after pouring off...but if you know the fermenter was at least really clean..you should be cool.

Unless you put something nasty in the empty jug or kept it in unsanitary conditions, you will be fine.

Latest posts

Back