Weird mouth feel...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruzn4aBrewzn

Reaction score
So I brewed a batch of Yoopers house pale ale a few weeks ago and it's now in the kegerator and I just pulled a small sample to see how the carbing is going and it seems to have a slick or slimy mouth feel to it.
I have had this exact mouth feel on a hef that I made this past summer. It does not seem to effect the taste but is just disappointing.
Now I know about "pediococcus". Which seems to be the answer but I didn't seem to notice this before kegging in my samples and I am pretty rigorous about cleaning my fermenter's / kegs. I use oxyclean and then starsan and then pressurize until ready to fill with beer.
I was wondering if it could be layer or a residue of ether the oxy or the sanitizer or if I need to change my cleaning regimen.?.?. Any ideas would be appreciated because I'm really not a fan of the slick feeling left on my tung. and I don't really want this to happen to anymore beers.

Sounds like diacetyl. Probably the most frequent cause of this is transferring the beer off the yeast before it has a chance to re-absorb. Bacterial contamination is another common cause.

wonderbread23 said:
Sounds like diacetyl. Probably the most frequent cause of this is transferring the beer off the yeast before it has a chance to re-absorb. Bacterial contamination is another common cause.

So I had it primary around 63 for two weeks and then dry hopped in the same fermenter for another week with the last two days being a crash cooling then to the keg. Does that sound right for diacetyl? Sorry I'm still in the first year of my brewing and have only done around 40 batches, so I'm not super versed on diacetyl but I will now do some reasurch.

So I had it primary around 63 for two weeks and then dry hopped in the same fermenter for another week with the last two days being a crash cooling then to the keg. Does that sound right for diacetyl? Sorry I'm still in the first year of my brewing and have only done around 40 batches, so I'm not super versed on diacetyl but I will now do some reasurch.

Yes, that certainly sounds like diacetyl. One fix (too late now) is to raise the temperature at the very end of fermentation. Say, from 63 to 68, to encourage the yeast to digest their by-products, like diacetyl. A few podcasts I've listened to by Jamil Z suggest always doing that for ales, even if the yeast strain isn't noted to be a big diacetyl producer.

What was the yeast? Some yeasts if kept that cold will never clean up the diacetyl. Particularly, some English strains come to mind.

Thanks guys! Ya that sounds like what is is. Just to bad it's already in a cold keg. I used the US-05 dry yeast. Which I'm not used to using as I usually use notty. "and I don't care what anyone says I have made the best beers with it! Ha..Ha..". Anyway ya I have always herd of the diacetyl rest but never paid much attention to it as I thought it was more of a lager thing but now I might just always do it. And I have two lagers fermenting right now..... But other than me screwing it up, Yooper your pale is a nice one. Also would you guys/girls suggest a longer fermentation to go along with a diacetyl rest?

Back