brewing with grape skins vs brewing without skins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you ferment on the skins, you'll get red wine, or at least reddish wine. It depends on the grape variety. Fermenting on non-wine grapes skins can make a blush wine. For example, my catawba grapes are fermented on the skin for 5-7 days before being pressed. It turns out to be a nice blush wine. The pulp is green, so without fermenting on the skins it would be a white wine. Skins also provide some tannin.

Yooper is correct. Skins for color. Secondly....... you do not brew beer. Sorry, I'm anal about terminology at times.

Good luck with your wine though.

Salute! :mug:

...yes you do! :D

I know, I know - you meant to say "wine." I caught the "brewing" wine thing yesterday, figured someone would fix it. :) Happens all the time.

Good thread, I wasn't clear on this either. Yoop, can you clarify:

"Fermenting on non-wine grapes skins can make a blush wine."

What happens when you ferment on white grape skins? Is that what you are referring to here, making a blush wine?

Good thread, I wasn't clear on this either. Yoop, can you clarify:

"Fermenting on non-wine grapes skins can make a blush wine."

What happens when you ferment on white grape skins? Is that what you are referring to here, making a blush wine?

Well, no. Purple grape skins for a short time can make a blush wine. The "flesh" of some (most) wines is green/white. Catawba grapes, and concord grapes, for example, can be blush or white with a sort fermentation (or no fermentation) on the skins.

Back