Opened cider OK in carboy for a week - refrig. temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaginger

Reaction score
I was all fired up to ferment so I started opening my cider and got about 2.5 gallons into my 5 gallon carboy when I realized I would have to be out of town for the upcoming week. I'd rather not start the fermentation, because I'd prefer to be here to keep tabs on it.

Question is: will my opened cider in the carboy be OK if I keep it at refrigerator temps for a week? I'm worried b/c it has been exposed to the air.

Side question: if it is OK to leave it, would it be better off if I went ahead and put my supplementary sugar in now, or should I wait till I get back for that?

Thanks!

It will be ok refrigerated but if I was you I would go ahead and start it. The yeast will work just find without you there!

I'd start it too before going away for a week, it's one week less you'll have to stare at it, sure, but it'll get it's thing done, mostly better if you leave it alone.

+4 pitch it -

unless you are using a yeast/sugar combo that you think might blow through the airlock. (not likely using most of the usual wine yeasts)

Thanks for the reassurance and the encouragement to just go for it. It is good advice and I would normally follow it, but I do have a number of extenuating circumstances:

1. It is my first batch so I am a little neurotic.

2. My house is on the market for sale, and I am not sure if "rhino farts" will be attractive to any potential buyers who may visit while I am away.

3. The whole family will be out of town, and I live in the frigid locale of Hartford, CT, so I would be paying to keep the temp at 70+ for a week with noone there but the cider.

4. I screwed up and bought cider (7 gallons) with potassium sorbate in it, which I didn't notice until 2.5 gallons were in the carboy. Since I have read that it is possible to get the fermentation started, I decided to go ahead and add another 2.5 gallons of apple juice without preservatives to see if I can salvage it and avoid wasting wasting my original cider. With all that in mind, I think I need to make a good starter and be around when I pitch it to monitor it and repitch if necessary.

So I didn't add all the details in the first post, but those are the reasons I do not want to start now.

Thanks again for the answers.

Thanks for the reassurance and the encouragement to just go for it. It is good advice and I would normally follow it, but I do have a number of extenuating circumstances:

1. It is my first batch so I am a little neurotic.

2. My house is on the market for sale, and I am not sure if "rhino farts" will be attractive to any potential buyers who may visit while I am away.

3. The whole family will be out of town, and I live in the frigid locale of Hartford, CT, so I would be paying to keep the temp at 70+ for a week with noone there but the cider.

4. I screwed up and bought cider (7 gallons) with potassium sorbate in it, which I didn't notice until 2.5 gallons were in the carboy. Since I have read that it is possible to get the fermentation started, I decided to go ahead and add another 2.5 gallons of apple juice without preservatives to see if I can salvage it and avoid wasting wasting my original cider. With all that in mind, I think I need to make a good starter and be around when I pitch it to monitor it and repitch if necessary.

So I didn't add all the details in the first post, but those are the reasons I do not want to start now.

Thanks again for the answers.

#1 - they are yeastie beasties - don't sweat it - The've been doing their thing longer than mammals have existed, they really don't need your help for the first week. ;)

#2 add Yeast Nutrient to avoid this, will help with #4 also. :)

#3 the action of the yeast will produce some heat - wrap your vessel with a
blanket to harness this. :D

#4 depends on the yeast - some like EC-1118 or Montrachet will go like a raped ape :eek: dispite preservatives in the juice.

Back