Hi from Phoenix, AZ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixCoyote

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,
I actually started brewing 5 months ago but had to stop after the first month. Now i am able to start up again. I made 3 batches and they have all been sitting since January. I learned i do not like the ale aftertaste. They all taste the same in a way to me. German Otoberfest, German Amber and Red Ale. Maybe i should try a Lager or Pilsner instead? I want a clean, crisp, refreshing taste.

For those in AZ, with the heat, what is a good way to keep the wort cool for a week? Can i put the bucket in a small bin with dry ice around it? Or maybe put my blue ice packs around it?

Thanks everybody. I look forward to being on here and getting to know people better.

I would suggest sticking with the ales for a while and see what happens. Lagers take more attention and reguire temp. control in warm weather. My guess is the after-taste is a fermentation by-product coming from some lag time infection or a bit of wild yeast. As you get going you should be able to make crisp ales with clean finishes.

What commercial, micros do you like? Are you a hop head or more into malt? The folks around here can help you make beers like those you love to drink, so start sampling and let us know what you want to make. But again I would suggest ales, maybe some golden ales, summer ales, kolsch...

Good luck and welcome. Great to have you on board.

PhoenixCoyote said:
For those in AZ, with the heat, what is a good way to keep the wort cool for a week? Can i put the bucket in a small bin with dry ice around it? Or maybe put my blue ice packs around it?
BYO has an article covering the summer brewing woes. I was luckier than most a inherited a small chest freezer that I use to ferment in during these warm summers.

Good luck,
Wild

If you have the space and don't want to deal with a fermentation fridge you may contemplate this: http://www.ajbrewing.com/Beer/fermchiller/default.htm

I agree with BrewPastor on keep trying to find the ales that may suit you. I've not done a lager yet as I don't have the appropriate equip to lager nor do I have the 2 months patience!

desertBrew said:
If you have the space and don't want to deal with a fermentation fridge you may contemplate this: http://www.ajbrewing.com/Beer/fermchiller/default.htm

I agree with BrewPastor on keep trying tonor do I have the 2 months patience!
I bottled an Oktoberfest beer a while back. I sampled (?) 3 - 1/2 liter bottles last night.:drunk: Needs another week for conditioning, but it tasty good and malty!

Now I have to fridgerate it again until September...talk about patience??:D

If I get the time I definitely want to check into making a chiller. I'll be modifying mine to ajust for 2 buckets and carboys. For the carboys I put mine in milk crates so I'll have to up the size for them.

desertBrew said:

I agree with BrewPastor on keep trying to find the ales that may suit you. I've not done a lager yet as I don't have the appropriate equip to lager nor do I have the 2 months patience!
2 months to make a lager? I didn't know that. That is also beyond my paitence. I will keep trying some ales. People have suggested trying a different yeast than the one which comes with the kit. Maybe instead of a kit, i can find a recipe i want to try and have it filled at my HBS. Thanks.

Brewpastor said:
I would suggest sticking with the ales for a while and see what happens. Lagers take more attention and reguire temp. control in warm weather. My guess is the after-taste is a fermentation by-product coming from some lag time infection or a bit of wild yeast. As you get going you should be able to make crisp ales with clean finishes.

What commercial, micros do you like? Are you a hop head or more into malt? The folks around here can help you make beers like those you love to drink, so start sampling and let us know what you want to make. But again I would suggest ales, maybe some golden ales, summer ales, kolsch...

Good luck and welcome. Great to have you on board.
Hello BrewPastor,
Thanks for your advice. If i had to choose a type of beer it would be hoppy over malty. And Lagers before Ales probably. I haven't been that much of a beer drinker before, but going to beer now because of having too much hard stuff over the years. Looking for a drinkable, day to day type of beer. No bad aftertaste. I dislike budweiser so nothing like that. Never had a wheat beer yet. Use to live in Alaska. Had their Alaskan Amber and Alaskan Summer Ale. Both had an aquired taste to get use to. So what is a good hoppy beer? Thanks again.

I've got an Alaskan Amber clone in primary right now. I got the recipe from http://homebrewdepot.com off the 101 and Guadalupe.

I am fortunate enough to have a dedicated fermentation fridge as well as a lagering/serving fridge, so the heat is no longer an issue. Controlling the fermentation temp and chilling wort quickly have been the two most critical factors in changing the quality of my brewing.

olllllo said:
I've got an Alaskan Amber clone in primary right now. I got the recipe from http://homebrewdepot.com off the 101 and Guadalupe.

I am fortunate enough to have a dedicated fermentation fridge as well as a lagering/serving fridge, so the heat is no longer an issue. Controlling the fermentation temp and chilling wort quickly have been the two most critical factors in changing the quality of my brewing.

I'm guessing you own a jeep too. ;)

Latest posts

Back