Home brewing in Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah but I don't trust those.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Actually they tend to be pretty damn good. But what I mean is you can see if both are reading the same. If so you should be good. If not then one of them is off and you can look into which.

Hello everyone, I know this is off topic for the post but this seemed like an active thread so I figured it would be my best chance for a response. I'm a homebrewer/beer geek in Yokohama for work. I'm free today (Feb 7th) after 12pm and was hoping to hit up some brewpubs and taprooms. If anyone is in the area and would like to meet up, it would be nice to not drink alone. First round it on me!

Hi Everyone. I made my first post over on the Bulk Hop Rhizome ordering thread and then found this thread. I had no idea there was such an active Homebrewing community here in Japan. I would like to introduce myself.

My name is Steve and I have been in Japan for about 14 years. I used to Homebrew back in Canada a bit, but have really gotten into it here. I live in Machida. I have been brewing here for about 5 years, and these days I am pretty much doing nothing but 10 gallon all grain batches and kegging with cornies. This year I am looking into growing some hops!

The information in this thread alone has been eye opening!

Really looking forward to learning from everyone, and meeting up sometimes to perhaps share some brews!

Cheers,

Steve

Glad to have you, Steve!

Where do you get your cornies? All the ones I've seen in Japan have been over 10,000 JPY, with the exception of the one I bought from Guzzibrew on here. I heard a rumor that you could buy them on Yahoo Auctions, but all I can find are Asahi/Kirin/Sapporo kegs.

Hey Steve,
Welcome. You must have a house to be able to do 10 gal batches and kegging. Yes, there is a pretty good home-brew community here in Japan. Unfortunately you are not in Tokyo, there are quite a few of us there. What is it you do here in Japan?

Unfortunately you are not in Tokyo

He's in Machida-shi, which is just SW of downtown Tokyo, and still technically Tokyo (but not really :p)

I just ordered 4kg of candi sugar from hopandgrape.uk, because my last experience with them was so smooth... but the shipping was killer this time. It ended up at around 7000 yen. :drunk: I really wish I could get estimates before purchasing there.:mad:

After comparison shopping on US, UK, and AU sites, it looks like the cheapest shipping is from AU. Does anyone know of any good sites there? I only know beerbelly.com.au.

I am only a 90 minute drive from Noda-shi :) I get up there every now and again. I do have a house, but actually can just barely do 10 gal batches on my kitchen stove. In addition to a house, I have a SWMBO and child, so for brewing purposes and apartment might be superior! As to what I do, I work in IT. What do you do up in Noda-shi Mr. Pearce?

About 4 years back, I wanted to get some better bottles. I ended up having them shipped from Australia. Since freight is based on volume and not weight I also had a metric crap tonne of cornies shipped along with them. I did buy a corny from Yahoo once for about 5000 yen. You need a keg? I'll give you one for all the work you are doing for the hop buy!

I make my own candi syrup using instructions I found on here. It works great and is cheap. It just takes a little time. I can make a batch while my mash is mashing away.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/

I love beer, and DIY so brewing is just the best hobby ever!

My Keg setup doesn't take up much space. Here are a couple of shots.

Kegging 1.jpg

Kegging2.jpg

I am only a 90 minute drive from Noda-shi :) I get up there every now and again. I do have a house, but actually can just barely do 10 gal batches on my kitchen stove. In addition to a house, I have a SWMBO and child, so for brewing purposes and apartment might be superior! As to what I do, I work in IT. What do you do up in Noda-shi Mr. Pearce?

About 4 years back, I wanted to get some better bottles. I ended up having them shipped from Australia. Since freight is based on volume and not weight I also had a metric crap tonne of cornies shipped along with them. I did buy a corny from Yahoo once for about 5000 yen. You need a keg? I'll give you one for all the work you are doing for the hop buy!

I make my own candi syrup using instructions I found on here. It works great and is cheap. It just takes a little time. I can make a batch while my mash is mashing away.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/

I love beer, and DIY so brewing is just the best hobby ever!

Very cool. If you are this way let me know and you can help me empty a keg or two. I am a headhunter for lawyers. While I live in Noda I work in Akasaka. So it is a long commute on the train. We are hoping to move into Tokyo later this year if all goes well. Please call me Michael by the way. I never thought of having cronies and carboys shipped from Aus. I go there every year but didn't know they ship by volume. Very cool. I haven't found the need for candi yet but interesting link, thanks for sharing. Haven't been brewing as long as you but I have serious compulsive issues so when I do something it is full on. SWMBO just loves it :drunk:

Very cool. If you are this way let me know and you can help me empty a keg or two. I am a headhunter for lawyers. While I live in Noda I work in Akasaka. So it is a long commute on the train. We are hoping to move into Tokyo later this year if all goes well. Please call me Michael by the way. I never thought of having cronies and carboys shipped from Aus. I go there every year but didn't know they ship by volume. Very cool. I haven't found the need for candi yet but interesting link, thanks for sharing. Haven't been brewing as long as you but I have serious compulsive issues so when I do something it is full on. SWMBO just loves it :drunk:

I think we are the same that way...go full on....and then onto the next obsession full on, but brewing is one that never gets left behind! My SWMBO loves the beer, but the full on has to be negotiated!

I would love to help you empty a keg or two!

Hi all,

I've read HBF for a while, but didn't realize there was an ongoing Japan thread.
I've done only 4 batches or so (extract w/ specialty grains for the last 3) with decent results. Just wanted to introduce myself.

Actually, I do have a question that maybe someone could help with...

I have visitors coming from the US in a few weeks and I was going to have them bring an 8oz bottle of StarSan with them. Should we anticipate any problems from customs regarding bringing it into Japan? I noticed many online retailers won't ship it to Japan. Anyone know if there's a legal problem?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
//REW

I think we are the same that way...go full on....and then onto the next obsession full on, but brewing is one that never gets left behind! My SWMBO loves the beer, but the full on has to be negotiated!

I would love to help you empty a keg or two!

Story of my life.

Should be no problem bring it in. I have brought it several times. I don't declare anything so they have no reason to open my bag.

Hi all,

I've read HBF for a while, but didn't realize there was an ongoing Japan thread.
I've done only 4 batches or so (extract w/ specialty grains for the last 3) with decent results. Just wanted to introduce myself.

Actually, I do have a question that maybe someone could help with...

I have visitors coming from the US in a few weeks and I was going to have them bring an 8oz bottle of StarSan with them. Should we anticipate any problems from customs regarding bringing it into Japan? I noticed many online retailers won't ship it to Japan. Anyone know if there's a legal problem?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
//REW

Welcome to the forum. New here myself.

I have actually bought starsan in Japan. I don't anticipate any issues bringing it in.

Its not customs that has a problem with star san its the airlines. As a hazardous material it isn't supposed to fly. 5 star chemicals (producers of SS) replied to my inquiry on the topic with a "You can't take it on a plane".

That hasn't stopped plenty of people from doing so, but just be aware that it could be confiscated. Don't put it in your carry on. Make sure the lid is on tight and consider wrapping duct tape for an extra level of sealing.

Its not customs that has a problem with star san its the airlines. As a hazardous material it isn't supposed to fly. 5 star chemicals (producers of SS) replied to my inquiry on the topic with a "You can't take it on a plane".

That hasn't stopped plenty of people from doing so, but just be aware that it could be confiscated. Don't put it in your carry on. Make sure the lid is on tight and consider wrapping duct tape for an extra level of sealing.

I would NOT wrap it with duct tape. That will look very suspicious. They seal it just fine. You wrap it I will bet money they open it then.

Welcome to the forum. New here myself.

I have actually bought starsan in Japan. I don't anticipate any issues bringing it in.

Really? Where?

I've been really hating the extra rinsing that bleach requires, and would be overjoyed to buy some if any of the retailers actually sold it.

I think those guys are out of business. I put an order in with them a month ago and I still haven't gotten any response or package.

That would be tragic! I need more starsan soon.

Edit: Just tried to place an order with them. I will update if I get it.

Moved out to Yokosuka a few months ago and finally got back into homebrewing once I found some places that would ship out here. Now I'm trying to upgrade to all-grain, however, with shipping costs it nulls out my primary reason for wanting to do so. Does any one have a line on some grain supplies local to Japan, or cheap options of shipping anywhere else??? Getting desperate here!!

Moved out to Yokosuka a few months ago and finally got back into homebrewing once I found some places that would ship out here. Now I'm trying to upgrade to all-grain, however, with shipping costs it nulls out my primary reason for wanting to do so. Does any one have a line on some grain supplies local to Japan, or cheap options of shipping anywhere else??? Getting desperate here!!

Check the very first post in this thread- most people use brewland or advanced brewing. Homebrew service may be dead now, we'll see.

RE: Star-San, I'm currently working on ways to get my hands on some. I originally asked a friend to smuggle it in, but he was rather less than excited about trying to get past the TSA with a half-gallon of acid in his luggage. Go figure. Maybe some of our USFJ buddies can get it in? :D*nudge nudge*

I saw those awhile back, biggest problem, I can't read Japanese and the google translate works, but not good enough to decipher differences and successfully place an order... Saw a post that said military gets cheaper shipping rates, I'd hate to see full prices...

RE: Star-San, I'm currently working on ways to get my hands on some. I originally asked a friend to smuggle it in, but he was rather less than excited about trying to get past the TSA with a half-gallon of acid in his luggage. Go figure. Maybe some of our USFJ buddies can get it in? :D*nudge nudge*

Who's wanting some, and how much-- I'm able to make it to checkout page without any problems..

I brew all grain and sourced everything locally. What supplies are you looking for?

I will buy a full 32oz if you can get it. It seems to be very stable while undiluted, so I want as much as I can get my grubby mitts on (so as to make them less grubby, of course).

The best thing about starsan is you can reuse it for a long long time. One once of the concentrate will fill a 5 gallon containers, and as long as you clean stuff well, once you sanitize you can dump the sanitize back into storage. I had 8 ounces of the stuff last me for a couple of years.

I brew all grain and sourced everything locally. What supplies are you looking for?

Mainly grains...equipment, and yeast aren't as hard to get out here. I get my hops directly from a hop farm, I have the ability for liquid yeast online- but would prefer a local source if available. Pound for pound, it cost more to get the grains out here than the cost of the grain itself. I'm probably going to want to start kegging later and will want a place to fill co2, but it's not a major concern of mine right now...

Mainly grains...equipment, and yeast aren't as hard to get out here. I get my hops directly from a hop farm, I have the ability for liquid yeast online- but would prefer a local source if available. Pound for pound, it cost more to get the grains out here than the cost of the grain itself. I'm probably going to want to start kegging later and will want a place to fill co2, but it's not a major concern of mine right now...

Liquid Yeast are a pain in the ass here. I picked up about 8 varieties and will be freezing them.

Sakeland.net has most everything you need from a grain perspective, as well as equipment like fermenters. For my equipment I mostly built my own stuff (bought big pots and added valves and made a mash tun from a cooler.) Regarding grains, you can get them much cheaper from asahi (there is a link in this thread) but I haven't tried it yet. You need to fill out and fax a form in Japanese I believe.

For CO2, the best is to go to a local sake shop and ask for a 5KG gas bombe. They will order one for you. First one costs about 7500 yen (5000 yen deposit) and then the rest of the time you go and exchange the previous one for a full one for around 2500 yen. I haven't found a place that will refill an existing tank.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve

Didn't think about the suspicious tape but good point!

Welcome to the thread! I am also in Yokosuka, in Oppama (hence my ID). I'd be interested in getting a 32 oz bottle of starsan myself just to be set for the next year or more and to be able to help out others with it. I have an extra bottle capper if you want it, its not a stand capper though.

Facebook page is a good idea! Maybe the Kinki brewers and Okinawa Brewers want to join it, lots of people make trips to Kanto once in a while. (Tokyo is apparently the center of the universe)

Last thing, a reminder that anytime anyone wants me to update the original few posts of this thread just send me a PM. I would love to know for sure if that homebrew service is or isn't in business so I can remove it from the links if need be.

PS: just came home from work today to a brand new copy of "Craft Beer in Japan" waiting for me. I'm looking forward to this read.

Homebrew Service Just emailed me saying they'd be shipping my Starsan tomorrow.

Looking good!

Yeah I got the automated email, but the stuff never arrived. I've sent emails to two addresses I had for them (order@ and [email protected]), both were returned undelivered.

If they're still in business, I'll just order the StarSan from them, but I'm pretty skeptical.

Back