Batch sparging problem - question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearcat Brewmeister

Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After doing exclusively fly sparging for years, I did my first batch sparge today but I think I did something wrong. After adding the first bunch of water, I had a hard time getting the runnings clear again. I added the water, stirred, and waited 10 minutes, then recirculated about a gallon and a half. I seemed to be clearer after that, but it was apparently still very cloudy. I noticed when I took my pre-boil gravity that I had all of these chunks floating in it, like the little white bits that are in the mash (not sure the technical term for them - it looked like something coagulated in the wort). I tried to filter them out of the kettle, but they would not settle and I wasn't going to empty the entire kettle. I figured that my false bottom in the kettle with 4 ounces on leaf hops on it would filter them, but a bunch still came through. They are in my primary now. Is this bad? Should I do an early rack to secondary?

I've found that the smaller my mash volume, the harder it is to clear it by recirculating. I have a 5 gallon upright cooler mash tun and if I mash at least 8 lbs of grain with 2-2.5 gall water, I'm okay. It never gets really clear, but all that settles out in the primary. I've never had a problem with it. It's quite clear in the bottle.

monk

EdWort said:
What kind of mash tun are you using? Are you putting hops in your mash?

No hops in the mash. Mash tun is a 10 gallon Rubbermaid with false bottom. I'll put some pics in my gallery.

Monk said:
I've found that the smaller my mash volume, the harder it is to clear it by recirculating. I have a 5 gallon upright cooler mash tun and if I mash at least 8 lbs of grain with 2-2.5 gall water, I'm okay. It never gets really clear, but all that settles out in the primary. I've never had a problem with it. It's quite clear in the bottle.

My grain bill was 12 pounds. I usually get pretty clean runnings when I fly sparge by recirculating the first 2 or 3 quarts. That is why I thought I screwed something up since I recirculated 6 quarts and it was still chunky (less compact grain bed?).

I kind of figured it might eventually settle, but I am concerned that I may have gotten some type of off flavor by having all of that stuff in the boil and the primary. Glad to hear you never had a problem. Makes me feel better.

Bearcat Brewmeister said:
Mash tun is a 10 gallon Rubbermaid with false bottom. I'll put some pics in my gallery.
I use the same setup, and get clear runnings after 2 quarts when batch sparging. Maybe you knocked your false bottom loose when stirring?

Bike N Brew said:
I use the same setup, and get clear runnings after 2 quarts when batch sparging. Maybe you knocked your false bottom loose when stirring?

I thought the same exact thing since it happened on a batch I made 6 weeks ago when poured the grain onto the mash water without holding the plastic false bottom down - huge clog right after opening the valve. It is possible I knocked it loose, but I checked when I cleaned it out and there wasn't any debris under it. You got me thinking, could be I had a small chunk that wedged under one part while stirring and kept it from seating flat. Then junk continued to flow under it even though I recirculated 6 quarts. Thanks.

I use a 10 gallon Rubbermaid water cooler with a stainless braid. My vorlauf never goes more than 2 quarts before it is very clear when batch sparging. I'm getting into the 80's on efficiency, so I don't see a reason to switch to fly. The beers I brew are the ones I drink and they taste pretty darn good.

Give a stainless braid a try. I tried the false bottom once and had the same issue. I switched and never looked back.

I think the problem with some false bottom designs is that they don't seat/seal well around the edges. I've got one of these in my MLT. Their design included a little rubber o-ring to hold it in place. You've gotta be kidding! My first brew with it was a disaster. I figured out how to hold it tight against the bottom with a hose clamp. This only works because I've got the rigid siphon tube. I know some for coolers are made to fit tight against the walls, but I still bet some of the problems people have are from grain getting by the edges one way or another. I like my setup now - it works great now, but a false bottom is not without its draw backs.

Bearcat, I don't know for sure, but you might want to think about how to secure/seal your false bottom better.

inside_mlt.JPG

EdWort said:
I use a 10 gallon Rubbermaid water cooler with a stainless braid. My vorlauf never goes more than 2 quarts before it is very clear when batch sparging. I'm getting into the 80's on efficiency, so I don't see a reason to switch to fly. The beers I brew are the ones I drink and they taste pretty darn good.

LOL, well you have me beat on efficiency (I'm usually at 75%) and usually I vorlauf 2 quarts, sometimes 3, then fly sparge. I have never seen a reason to switch to batch sparging but for trying to save time on a two brew day. And to plagiarize, the beers I brew are the ones I drink and they taste pretty DAMN good.;)

Seriously though, I have been kicking around the idea of a braid for a while and I think you have me convinced Ed. Thanks for the input.

Back