Knockout and late hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tidehouse

Reaction score
I'm a little confused about how to time the late extract addition and late hop additions. I've read you should add the last half of extract at flameout and let it pasteurize for 10 minutes, but how does this affect late hop additions? Should I add the finishing hops which are supposed to go in the last 5 minutes or so and then add extract after flameout? If I let the extract pasteurize for 10 minutes will this affect the flavor/aroma additions? These techniques seem to conflict with each other.

Personally I add the late extract with 5-10 minutes left (with the heat off) and then bring the wort back to a boil to finish up the additions. Either way, late hop additions are not really affected by the gravity of the wort at that point - since they're not contributing significant bitterness, only flavor and aroma. Add your hops at the time specified by the recipe, and your late extract anytime around that. The main thing to watch is that they're in the boiling wort for the time specified - once the heat is off and the wort stops boiling they're not contributing much but aroma.

I don't think they contradict each other. The final hop addition is really for aroma, not bittering. For extract brewers, adding 2/3 of your extract in the final 15 minutes helps reduce carmelization and lightens the beer's color. Hop additions should go in according to your recipe, no different than if you added all the extract forthe full 60 minutes.

I don't bother bringing it back to the boil.

In the first place, that means your boil is only X minutes long - if you stop the boil at 50 minutes in order to add extract, your boil is only 50 minutes long for bittering calculation purposes. Once you stop boiling, you stop isomerization.

In the second, simply stirring the extract into the wort after flameout will give enough time to sanitize the extract.

As for late hops additions, if it says "flameout" I add the hops after I stir in the late extract. Dissolving the extract only takes a couple of minutes, after all. Then I wait five minutes before turning on the chiller. By the time the chiller takes the wort below sanitation temperature, the wort is heat-sanitized.

Bob

Back