Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See Sonofgroks post^^^ I'm comfortable putting mine in that range, but like I said its not a concern of mine to have indisputable proof in this case

I hear you but you said "more than sure" so I thought there was more to it than guessing. I'm sure it's in that range but so many variables effect the strength of the feeling of drunkenness we get and once we are buzzed our critical thinking skills are practically nil. If I drink one beer on an empty stomach I'm buzzed. If I drink the same beer after a meal I feel nothing. If I drank some RW on an empty stomach I would have a way different assumption of its ABV than if I drank some after eating.

Anyway, I guess I'll have to try it out and report.

ETA: I guess all I'm saying is everybody is saying it's ~20% but nobody really knows. The little bit I have drank was in my estimation (guess) to be nowhere near 20%. I'm just wondering where people get that number.

I'm estimating from drinking stuff of similar strength. Aroma, alcohol flavors etc. Surely I've been experiened enough to make a educated guess

...ETA: I guess all I'm saying is everybody is saying it's ~20% but nobody really knows. The little bit I have drank was in my estimation (guess) to be nowhere near 20%. I'm just wondering where people get that number.
It's probably based on the abv of typical commercial rice wine, 18-25%. I would say that mine is in the 12-14% range rather then up around 20. That's more of a guess based on how drunk I don't get on it, and it's flavor/aroma.

Please let us know what you find out.

Something about this seems fishy...

:D

Yep, sometimes having another hobby or two can lend itself to brewing. :)

The dosing pump worked like magic. I've had issues racking in small batch containers and this lift pump really does the trick. I was able to rack off to about 1/8" from the rice trub without sucking up any of the cloudy layer in the bottle. If i'd used a clear jar instead of the brown 32 ounce swing top bottle when I cold crashed the rice wine, I might've been able to suck out a little more.

The taste is much more mellow and refined after three weeks. I can't get over how nice it tastes.:rockin:

It's probably based on the abv of typical commercial rice wine, 18-25%. I would say that mine is in the 12-14% range rather then up around 20. That's more of a guess based on how drunk I don't get on it, and it's flavor/aroma.

Please let us know what you find out.

Makes sense. I'm not trying to be argumentative just curious because my limited experience is very different to what people are reporting. I think I'm more in your 12-14 range.

I'll report if I do the method on mine.

elkshadow said:
Makes sense. I'm not trying to be argumentative just curious because my limited experience is very different to what people are reporting. I think I'm more in your 12-14 range.

I was looking forward to a couple of nips of this for a tingly feeling but got through a 375mL bottle and a little more feeling like I'd only had 2 beers. Was my first batch.

Second batch, I cooked the rice in apple juice and bottled it the other day - already know its going to be stronger because I could smell the alcohol this time.

Most if the literature says ~20 which is where that number comes from. Product I am sure varies greatly based on rice, balls, method and time just like the wide range of flavors we are seeing. I would place my standard result at closer to 20% but that is strictly qualitative.

I was looking forward to a couple of nips of this for a tingly feeling but got through a 375mL bottle and a little more feeling like I'd only had 2 beers. Was my first batch.

Second batch, I cooked the rice in apple juice and bottled it the other day - already know its going to be stronger because I could smell the alcohol this time.

Yes, on mine you can definitely smell and taste the alcohol. It should burn a bit going down. Not an unpleasant burn but let's you know it is there for sure.

taking the time to fully read this thread, but started already. Have a gallon jar 1/2 full, jasmine and 2 yeast balls. It was so dry after steaming so I added a out 12 oz of the water from the steamer. Did I screw up? at day 2 now...

taking the time to fully read this thread, but started already. Have a gallon jar 1/2 full, jasmine and 2 yeast balls. It was so dry after steaming so I added a out 12 oz of the water from the steamer. Did I screw up? at day 2 now...
Probably not. It's possible you will end up with something a little tangy in flavor, but with 12 oz of water on dryish rice in that volume I doubt it.

Alright everybody, here's the two week checkup photo for the 7 way home dried RYR experiment. As a reminder, here's what went in each batch.

1. 3 tbs crushed RYR + 1/3 oz crushed yeast ball (control)
2. 1/3 oz crushed yeast ball (control #2)
3. 3 tbs crushed home dried RYR
4. 3 tbs crushed home dried RYR + 1/3 oz crushed yeast ball
5. 3 tbs refrigerated RYR starch mass
6. 3 tbs crushed RYR + 1/3 oz crushed rice yeast ball + nutrient
7. 1/3 oz crushed yeast ball + nutrient

Batches one, three and five all appear to be at about the same poor level of saccharification. Since they don't have much in common, I find this odd. Batch four is displaying what I would consider a fairly typical, though a little on the low side, level of saccharification. Batches two, six and seven all display good levels of saccharification. Batch four and seven are both displaying clear liquid, all other samples are cloudy.

I am discounting the failure of batch one as an anomaly at present. I can find no reason for the failure of the control.

Based on the lack of red pigment and the mediocre performance of the homemade RYR samples I believe the monascus purpureus has in fact died in all of the attempts at home preservation. Both the air drying of the starch mass, and it's refrigeration for a few days.

With that in mind, and with the difference in performance between samples containing only homemade inoculant and samples with purchased supplies, I believe that the enzyme producing orgasm from the rice yeast balls has also died. The saccharification observed is likely due to residual enzyme present in the harvested starch mass.

In short, this experiment has been moved from a tentative success to a tentative failure. Well, somebody had to make the attempt. I think I will have a nice glass of wine, and remind myself I don't smoke anymore.

07 Homemade RYR Experiment 04 two weeks.jpg

Oh, I have lots more big balls that have been cared for by professionals. I'm sure those are still very vigorous.

I have now made roughly over ten gallons of rice wine. I have used a vinometer on every batch. The average has been about 18%. With a varying range of 13 to 21 %. This is a more precise measurement than smelling it or drinking it and guessing but it is also by no means completely accurate. Vinometers are for dry wines and also only for approximate measurements. As far as people posting above that same ratio of water and same rice balls giving the same amount, this is not factoring the temperature which effects yield and abv alot in this method. I've been finding warmer temps during the first few days while the mold is doing its job to produce great results then I back the temperature down for the rest of the twenty one day cycle. I'm guessing not many people are doing this in a temp controlled chamber. I just got all ocd about it and wanted to understand it further. Someone said something about another test method that would use up the rice wine. I must have missed the post. If be willing to sacrifice a bottle to the cause. Ill try to scroll up and find this mentioned method. Hope it's not too far back ill get bored of looking lol.

I went back thirty pages I didn't see the test method people were referring to. I'll do the test but someone needs to find the method and quote it.

I went back thirty pages I didn't see the test method people were referring to. I'll do the test but someone needs to find the method and quote it.

It's called the honeyman method. Take a hydrometer reading of the finished wine. Boil a pint of it down to a half pint. Top it back up to a pint with distilled water and do another hydro reading. There's a chart you plug those numbers into to find ABV.

Scroll down to third post.

In short, this experiment has been moved from a tentative success to a tentative failure. Well, somebody had to make the attempt. I think I will have a nice glass of wine, and remind myself I don't smoke anymore.

Well thanks for doing this for the betterment of our society. I appreciate your efforts even if they were fruitless.

You should take all those batches and mix them together and call it WonderJuice(tm).

It's not a total loss. It looks as if your batches that incorporated yeast nutrient + a rice ball were the ones that did the best overall (with or without the RYR addition).

Thanks guys. No, it's not a total loss. I'll have some nice rice wine in any event. What I'll really be interested in is comparing the the flavor of the nutrient vs non-nutrient batches. It's also interesting that of the 3 batches that I expect to yield well 2 of them include yeast nutrient.

The experiment also isn't over, and my grains experiment showed me that you can't always tell for sure how well the saccharification of the rice is going until you harvest. Sometimes the rice liquefies from the inside out instead of from the outside in.

Another thing gained will be the opportunity to compare the "rose" rice wine with the rest of the samples.

I had another though today about a way to check the alcohol content. Not very scientific but you could use a breathalyzer. Drink 2 or 3 beers, breathalyze yourself. The next day keep all the conditions the same and drink the same amount of rice wine and breathalyze yourself again. It's not proof or anything but it would be better than educated guessing based on sensory evaluations. Maybe?

asked earlier if I shouldn't have topped up a bit with steamer water. thought maybe on the next day if I should pour a little out. washed hands, opened jar which had a very new 1/2 inch white mowhawk in places (think sea urchin), placed my hand on what turned out to be a spongy, lightweight, solid. turned jar over and poured out half the liquid. now today, darkness in some of the valleys, probably where my fingers touched(;-/), spore activity look with my bare eyes. is the consensus that I should let it be or scrape? scrape when and how much? stir? (seems to me that would introduce the mold flavor). still trying to catch up on this thread. at page 130, 7-3-13. 3 days in on batch.

asked earlier if I shouldn't have topped up a bit with steamer water. thought maybe on the next day if I should pour a little out. washed hands, opened jar which had a very new 1/2 inch white mowhawk in places (think sea urchin), placed my hand on what turned out to be a spongy, lightweight, solid. turned jar over and poured out half the liquid. now today, darkness in some of the valleys, probably where my fingers touched(;-/), spore activity look with my bare eyes. is the consensus that I should let it be or scrape? scrape when and how much? stir? (seems to me that would introduce the mold flavor). still trying to catch up on this thread. at page 130, 7-3-13. 3 days in on batch.

I think the consensus is don't add extra water besides what you cooked the rice in. The other consensus seems to be put it in the jar in the dark and leave it alone for 3 weeks, then strain and bottle/drink.

My second batch is at the 3 week mark tomorrow and I have a concert to go to so it should be fun.

Another thing gained will be the opportunity to compare the "rose" rice wine with the rest of the samples.

If you're referring to the cali-rose style of sushi rice, I think you'll be in for a tasty treat. I will be making my fourth batch of it tomorrow, six cups of cooked kukuho rose sushi rice this time. That amount should yield a full 64 ounces or so of rice wine after three weeks.

I have two small 3 cup batches going with 1/3 RYR to 2/3 sushi rice that don't appear to be doing all that well. They're about two weeks in and there's been very little activity in them, so I may decide to re-do them.

The thing about testing for alcohol that we have talked about before is the fact that the information you are going to come up with is really only going to be relevant to you, your rice, your balls, and your process. If I were to like use our lab gc to look at % alcohol, it really wouldn't be telling about your rice wine at all. My process and results are consistent so it would tell me but then jumping to someone else's product, it would probably be different.

For those interested in the "Breathalyzer" method... you can get pocket breathalyzers for a few tens of dollars online that are not "police accurate" but are supposed to tell you when you've had too much to drink to drive, so maybe that would work if you want to do that. Looking on Deals.Woot.Com now, and searching with the word "breathalyzer" I find everything from a $4 "keychain breathlyzer" to a $102 "Professional" with a "Police Breathalyzer" running you about $20 from a couple different sources.
Also, on Amazon, you can find a number of different breathalyzer products available at various prices from under $10 to over $100

anyone see a problem using enriched jasmine rice? Ingredients on a bag of Mahatma: Rice, niacin, iron, thiamin, folic acid.

Just as a side note for those of us using American brands of rice:

The US Dept. of Agriculture obliges producers of milled, white rice to add nutrients back to the grains to make it as nutritious as brown rice (with its bran layer). This means a dusty coating of vitamins and minerals is added to the rice before it is packaged and sold.

For those of us wanting to produce a clearer rice wine, you should definitely take the steps to check your bags of rice to see where they were milled and packaged first (nation of origin) and if they have any language such as "enriched" or "fortified" on the bag. Even brands produced outside the USA can be fortified as the process is also recommended by the EU and WHO. Millers will sometimes add talc or glucose powder to brighten the color of the rice grains even if they aren't necessarily enriched.

If the rice is enriched and you want your final rice wine to be as clear as possible, it's probably best if you thoroughly rinse your rice in a large bowl with cold water until it runs clear. Try not to break the rice. Mix it gently by hand after covering it in cold water and just turn over hand fulls of rice in the bowl and repeat. Pour off the cloudy liquid and refill the bowl and repeat as many times as you think are needed to get the rice water clear.

I'm not saying that this will make your Choujiu crystal clear from the get go, but every little bit in cutting down the dust helps.

How to clean rice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cUmHQtiaaoQ

For those interested in the "Breathalyzer" method... you can get pocket breathalyzers for a few tens of dollars online that are not "police accurate" but are supposed to tell you when you've had too much to drink to drive, so maybe that would work if you want to do that. Looking on Deals.Woot.Com now, and searching with the word "breathalyzer" I find everything from a $4 "keychain breathlyzer" to a $102 "Professional" with a "Police Breathalyzer" running you about $20 from a couple different sources.
Also, on Amazon, you can find a number of different breathalyzer products available at various prices from under $10 to over $100

Check that off the list as "done". Just got done with a little early 4th of July party with me, 4 partners, 4 batches of rice wines and a police issued breathalyzer tests. All have failed with flying colors.

Now, we have to figure out how to clear the machine as "Field tests" so it gets documented and stored without needing all the rest of the usual info...

It's going to be a very interesting rest of a long holiday weekend with about 2 gallons of this homemade wonder juice!

Check that off the list as "done". Just got done with a little early 4th of July party with me, 4 partners, 4 batches of rice wines and a police issued breathalyzer tests. All have failed with flying colors.

Now, we have to figure out how to clear the machine as "Field tests" so it gets documented and stored without needing all the rest of the usual info...

It's going to be a very interesting rest of a long holiday weekend with about 2 gallons of this homemade wonder juice!

Somewhere, Yi-Di, the Chinese God of alcohol is reading this thread....

chinaman-005.jpg

Was thinking about making a hunch punch or rice wine sangria with some extra rice wine I have on hand. Anybody do anything similar?

I had another though today about a way to check the alcohol content. Not very scientific but you could use a breathalyzer. Drink 2 or 3 beers, breathalyze yourself. The next day keep all the conditions the same and drink the same amount of rice wine and breathalyze yourself again. It's not proof or anything but it would be better than educated guessing based on sensory evaluations. Maybe?
You know, if you are that curious, you could just pay the 35$ and have a lab do it.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...asuring/white-labs-alcohol-test-kit-plus.html

If you're referring to the cali-rose style of sushi rice, I think you'll be in for a tasty treat...
Actually, I'm talking about the jars that have turned pink instead of red. The ones with residual enzyme and pigment from the home dried RYR. I'm wondering what they are going to taste like. Red rice wine does not really taste like white rice wine.

Somewhere, Yi-Di, the Chinese God of alcohol is reading this thread....
Haha, I hope so. I think he'll have to share a bit with Bacchus though. :D

Back