Chances of a sweat based infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLBrooks

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question for you...

About a month and a half ago I made a texas blonde and while i was aerating it, a single drop of sweat rolled down my nose and plopped into my wort before I could add my yeast (it was 105, 111 with the heat index)

When I racked to secondary their were no signs of infection. It's been bottle conditioning for about a month now and I have a sampler in the fridge for a few days now that I'm about to pop open.

Will I be able to determine if the entire batch is good or bad by opening a single bottle.

If it's infected what can I expect when I open it?

If it's infected and I drink it will I get super powers?

Thanks

In a word, Yes.

You should already be able to fly simply by living in the same house as your batch.

Honestly, you shouldn't worry. There is a small chance of infection from that, but the likelihood that it affected your batch is extremely small.

RDWHAHB.

I wouldn't sweat the sweat... If your fermentation and primary stage went fine then I would not be worried about any type of infection (as long as your bottling did not introduce something). I'm sure everyone that brews has experienced something "added" to sweet wort before pitching there yeast and 99% of the time there are no issues because the yeast beat out any contenders.

I guess even if that first bottle is infected, I could let it sit for another month or 2 clear it up?

It's good to know yeast are strong like bull, even better to know a lot of folks have added themselves (literally) to their sweet wort

I brewed this weekend and was sweating like crazy. I must have dropped about 1/4 cup in all my spring and summer batches. No problems yet. Positive is I don't have to add salt to change my water profile.

I guess even if that first bottle is infected, I could let it sit for another month or 2 clear it up?

It's good to know yeast are strong like bull, even better to know a lot of folks have added themselves (literally) to their sweet wort

I wouldn't worry about the drop of sweat. Even if there is an infection, chances are good that it came from somewhere other than that single drop of sweat.

However, if you have an infected batch, more time WILL NOT clear it up. In fact, most infected beers get worse over time as the bacteria/wild yeast continue to multiply.

I wouldn't worry about the drop of sweat. Even if there is an infection, chances are good that it came from somewhere other than that single drop of sweat.

However, if you have an infected batch, more time WILL NOT clear it up. In fact, most infected beers get worse over time as the bacteria/wild yeast continue to multiply.

So if infections dont clear up after more time, i guess the beer becomes pig feed...

If there is an infection, i guess the only way to know is by the beer creating a geyser when opened (im not thinking of a 5inch squirt of beer - im thinking that it will easily hit and coat the ceiling, possibly even try to slap me). Would that be an accurate statement or is there something else I need to look for?

If there is an infection, i guess the only way to know is by the beer creating a geyser when opened (im not thinking of a 5inch squirt of beer - im thinking that it will easily hit and coat the ceiling, possibly even try to slap me). Would that be an accurate statement or is there something else I need to look for?

You'll need to taste it.

Well you certainly have some good options for what to name it!

Summer Sweat Ale
Sweaty Forehead Ale
Perspiration Ale

And the list goes on!

If it turns out tasting like A** then you can call it SWASS Ale.

Haha dug up this thread because a drop of sweat went into my bucket of wort. I still worry sometimes lol

RDWAHAHB

Back