US and EU standards for co2 tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakeddog

Reaction score
This is one for all you international folks out there. I just picked up a 10kg co2 tank here in Finland and was planning on getting my regulator stateside when I head to NY in a few weeks. It just dawned on me that the thread sizes might be different from one standard to the other. In the morning I can attempt to measure the threaded connector on my tank, but just curious if anybody knew whether or not these connectors were standardized or not.

Thanks.

Hope this helps:

CO2 Threaded Fittings
-------------------------
Throughout the world, carbon dioxide cylinder valves have a special thread. In Europe, Africa and much of Australasia,
the thread conforms to British Standard BS 341 Part 1 No. 8 (0.860 in x 14 TPI) or the direct European equivalent
(DIN 477 No. 6). These threads are in effect interchangeable.

American CGA 320 and Japanese JIS B 8246 CO2 threads are different and are not compatible with each other nor with
BS or DIN CO2 threads.

http://www.uk.airliquide.com/file/otherelement/pj/20_2690fittingsforco21942.pdf

http://www.teamonslaught.fsnet.co.uk/co2_info.htm

Wow, thanks selivem. Actually inside your second link I found this:

Note:- Want to use your U.S. Regulator on a European bottle?...Simply unscrew the stem and replace the nut.
A regulator nut to fit the European thread can be obtained from www.weldability.com part no:- DACO2NUT

That's exactly what I needed. Thanks again!

This is one for all you international folks out there. I just picked up a 10kg co2 tank here in Finland and was planning on getting my regulator stateside when I head to NY in a few weeks. It just dawned on me that the thread sizes might be different from one standard to the other. In the morning I can attempt to measure the threaded connector on my tank, but just curious if anybody knew whether or not these connectors were standardized or not.

Thanks.

Where are you in Finland? I'm searching to buy a tank as well right now, do you have any tips for the valve type I should look for to use with US material? Cheers

Back