home brew shops with attitude

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopleaf

Reaction score
Why do they always have to have an attitude? It's really pathetic.

So I was in the homebrew shop brainstorming as what I wanted to make because my original recipe I couldn't get all the ingredients for.

So I say I guess I'll make an American Amber to which his reply was, "Do you actually know what that is or did it just sound good?"

F. U. dude

Bunch of EACs :D

Just like CD shops.. yah dude, we've all seen High Fidelity.

I'd tell that a-hole if he wants my business he'll have better luck keeping his pie hole shut and walk out the door. If it's not the owner, I'd talk to him about it and then walk out (unless he offers to ease my anguish with some free ingredients for my next batch). Seriously, there's no reason for that. Nobody gives me crap like that when I order from AHS. ;)

My roommates just went into the brew shop for the first time and I haven't seen a friendly bunch. We said we were new to it and he went over everything we needed to buy and described the process as well as what each piece of equipment. Bummer you had to deal with crap like that.

Lil' Sparky said:
I'd tell that a-hole if he wants my business he'll have better luck keeping his pie hole shut and walk out the door. If it's not the owner, I'd talk to him about it and then walk out (unless he offers to ease my anguish with some free ingredients for my next batch). Seriously, there's no reason for that. Nobody gives me crap like that when I order from AHS. ;)

Good point.

A good answer to that question might have been, "Well gee... now that you mention it, I guess I really don't know what that is. I guess I'll just go over to austinhomebrew.com and see what kinds of kits they sell there...."

Did you go to Homebrew Headquarters on Coit?

When I lived there, there were a few pleasant guys to deal with (the owner Kelly, Ben who may not work there anymore, and just before I moved they hired Andy) everyone else could be counted on to give you an incomplete answer, or just seem peeved that you would have tha gaul to ask. One of my first time there, I was dealing with Ben, I was getting ingredients for a chocolate cherry stout. This was my first fruit beer, and Ben didnt know much about adding fruit. He asked another guy (who doesnt work there anymore) if he had any tips, since he brews a cherry beer. The guy goes "Yeah I made that, won an award" and went to the stockroom.

This is actually one of the reasons that I looked for and found this forum. Look for one of those guys, and if you have to, wait until they are not with a customer. Dont waste your time dealing with people that are less than helpful. If you have general questions post them here.

- magno

Don't seem to have any arse-holes in my LHBS, but they are definately amateurs. Inconvenient hours, website that sucks, and overpriced stock. I know this is a drinking/partying related hobby, but is it too much to ask for a little professionalism?

olllllo said:
*rolls eyes and sighs* Vinyl not CD's :D

Can I help you?

Yes, but I don't think you have what I'm looking for.

We have EVERYTHING!!

OK, then can I get a copy of Nirvana's "Nevermind" on 8-track? :D

or...

At the library: I'm looking for an autographed copy of the Bible (signed by God...)...:D

Now, I guess you're just gonna have to get yourself a t-shirt saying how many brews you've done and how long you've been brewing...

I'm sorry, that would make you an EAC, right?? :confused:

What a *****, I think I would have gave him a piece of my mind. I love how I live in this huge metroplex but yet I still order everything, even though I have 3 LHBS, and all of them suck in one way or another. I was thinking of trying out homebrew headquarters, to get some stuff for this weekend, but not now!!!

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, other times they've been pretty cool. Everyone has a bad day once in awhile.

I won't name names because it doesn't matter. However, I wouldn't ever DREAM of speaking to one of my customers that way. Se la vie.

I really enjoy my local homebrew store; Austin Home Brew. Never had a bad exp., always willing to help you out, never snobby or condescending. I know I've asked my share of dumb questions but they always answered them.

TxBrew said:
I really enjoy my local homebrew store; Austin Home Brew. Never had a bad exp., always willing to help you out, never snobby or condescending. I know I've asked my share of dumb questions but they always answered them.
x2. It's not my "local" HBS, but I've been there several times. Very nice store with quick and friendly service. I've also called them a few times with questions and they were more than willing to help. Online purchases have always been good, but not always same/next day shipment. :(

I hate my LHBS. I tried and tried to help them by giving them my business. They never stock what I want, and they never placed the only order I gave them. Lately, they don't even carry grain except for the odd 5 lb bag of Crystal.

I like Tx's LHBS much better - they're my "go to" supplier. I ordered some dry yeast and a bit of grain from them on Sunday. It's here already (Wednesday).

The only LHBS in orlando, Hearts is a total crock. The guys there seem like they cant wait for you to get out. The owner once told me, seriously, that they didnt care about local business....go figure

The kinda sorta LHBS here SUCKS....it's more of a liquor store than anything else.

Though they have a big banner on the roof that says "Corpus Christi's Largest Home Brew Supplier".

The carboy's and bottles are pretty cheap and I'd get dry yeast (don't sell liquid) from there in a pinch. But they don't know anything about brewing and really don't care about that part of the store.

I just signed up for the mailing list of the local brew club....hopefully it's cool. I'm sure they're a bunch of nice guys but I'm only 21 so....don't know I'm a bit intemidated.

My only complaint about Austin Homebrew is there slow shipping. But they do always get me a great product. So ill deal with it.

I'm sad to hear there are a few complaints about Homebrew HQ. They are my goto guys. If they are busy (store full of customers) all you have to do is wait your turn, and they will gladly help you. I have heard them talk MANY new brewers through their 1st batch. Also, they encourage you to grind your own grains and prep your own order, so even if the store IS full, you are still getting what you went in there for. Great stock, Good price's, and so far (little over a year now) nothing but top notch service. Only problem I have ever had is when I go there on Lunch, can't get out fast enough because they all want to talk about previous beers I have brought in, or how the keggerator is coming along. And that isn't a problem.

Luckily the few LHBS in my area have been staffed with very helpful and friendly folks for the most part.

Bike shops are far worse around here than homebrew shops.

That's inexcusable.

It wasn't even like you were being ignored or not getting the help you needed. The guy deliberately went out of his way to insult and degrade you.

I like Northern Brewer, Morebeer, and AHS very much!:mug:

Drunkensatyr said:
I'm sad to hear there are a few complaints about Homebrew HQ.

Ive left HBHQ happy most of the time, but it is the few times that they rubbed me the wrong way that left more of an impression. I really did like the fact that they let you weigh and mill your own grains. Kelly is a top-notch guy, he is very patient and helped me get started, diagnose problems, and make upgrades to my system.

All in all I would, and have in the past, recommend the store for people in the area. It is helpful to know who to deal with though

- magno

I won't mention names, but one HBS really pissed me off. I called them for an order to ship and they basically told me they'd get to me when they had time. This happened on TWO occasions. They were moving or some BS.

Hey, guess what - FU and your parents for having you.

I will grow my own **** before I ever do business with them.

If a company makes a mistake, and resolves the problem, I will buy from them again. It happened once at Northern Brewer (actually,they didn't goof, the USPS lost my package). I called, they said let me look into it, a couple of hours later they said it looks like it got lost in the mail - we're sending a replacement immediately. Nice people.

Looked at my post - "somebody" edited out s%#t. Pretty sneaky.

Why all this im not going to say names. screw that, say who it is, I don't want to give them business.

After working in retail for a number of years I have learned that if you have a problem with a store that you are giving your money to there is one thing you have to do: "May I speak with your manager/supervisor." Keep doing this until you find someone smart enough that will practically give you free **** because they know that loosing you as a customer will cost more (in the long run) than the cost of whatever the hell they are giving you.

I tend to have to use "May I speak to your manager/supervisor?" more when I am dealing with people on the phone. Used it 3 times with comcast...free month of service. Used it twice and got $200 off the cost of a plane ticket. (In both cases these reductions in price were honestly due to me).

If the highest manager/supervisor/owner doesn't give you reasonable satisfaction then 9/10 times they will be going out of business soon (IMHO, no proof).

Ryanh1801 said:
Why all this im not going to say names. screw that, say who it is, I don't want to give them business.

Because one person's opinion shouldn't sway you to make your own decision. It helps sometimes, but don't be a sheeple.

I'm not defending the HBS that has bad attitude help, but we don't know what was going on. Dude could have been having a bad day.

Dude said:
Because one person's opinion shouldn't sway you to make your own decision. It helps sometimes, but don't be a sheeple.

I'm not defending the HBS that has bad attitude help, but we don't know what was going on. Dude could have been having a bad day.

Yeah, then the owner of the place might come on here and threaten to sue...blah blah blah:D

My local guy was sort of cold when I first started going in. They've been better since I've become a semi-regular.

Dude said:

It could be about the same store.:p

Im just sayin:D

brloomis said:
Don't seem to have any arse-holes in my LHBS, but they are definately amateurs. Inconvenient hours, website that sucks, and overpriced stock. I know this is a drinking/partying related hobby, but is it too much to ask for a little professionalism?

My LHBS has one employee. He's the owner, and a brewer!

Yuri_Rage said:
Lately, they don't even carry grain except for the odd 5 lb bag of Crystal.

That sucks. Doug carries about 20 varieties of everything. My only complaint is ZERO online presence. But, if you're near Fayetteville, Ga drop by Just Brew It and say HI! to Doug.

Yeah, MoreBeer is cool....I go to the one in Riverside....everyone is real helpful; all good guys, except they got a back room where all the cool guys hang out. Pretty much everyone is all glassy-eyed, throwing a few back in the afternoon...wish I could be part of the club...

Yeah, our pathetic little LHBS in Las Vegas is run by a bunch of "grow-your pot-under-fluorescent-light-bulb hippies". It's an "Indoor Gardening Store" with a shelf with a few random bags of stoppers, DME, wine corks, etc. They have some grain in bulk, but who knows how fresh it is. They didn't even know up until recently if they were even going to keep the beer part of the store open because they weren't getting any business.

It's not so much that they are rude - I actually found them to be quite friendly. They just aren't very knowledgeable:(.

Hawkie333 said:
Yeah, MoreBeer is cool....I go to the one in Riverside....everyone is real helpful; all good guys, except they got a back room where all the cool guys hang out. Pretty much everyone is all glassy-eyed, throwing a few back in the afternoon...wish I could be part of the club...
yeah, i've had them mess up orders at these "parties" when they are drunk and i've heard people on HBT have had messed-up mail orders. I always double-check my purchase. but they ARE very helpful and knowledgeable and have an excellent supply of homebrewing equipment :)

pldoolittle said:
My LHBS has one employee. He's the owner, and a brewer!

Same here, our LHBS guy is nothing but nice and friendly and always gives good advice and insight... he's also the treasurer of the local brew club...

DeathBrewer said:
yeah, i've had them mess up orders at these "parties" when they are drunk and i've heard people on HBT have had messed-up mail orders. I always double-check my purchase. but they ARE very helpful and knowledgeable and have an excellent supply of homebrewing equipment :)

Yeah, I can't get too mad at that....I put myself in their shoes and I'd probably mess something up too. But I gotta admit when I'm crimped for time, run by the store with the intention of brewing the same day, and something critical like hops are missing, it pisses me off.:mad: Double-checking is my solution to the problem, though I shouldn't have to do that.

I have only had one issue with my LHBS being snooty - I was in getting the last of my ingredients for my first AG (still haven't brewed the bugger though!) and I wanted to get some Buffer 5.2 so I wouldn't have to sweat the mash pH. So I when I couldn't find it on the shelves, I asked the guy about it. He had never heard of it, and said, "This is your first all grain? You are going to have more important things to be thinking about than pH. You see all those awards on the wall? Those were all brewed without that stuff." He wasn't nasty, but pretty condescending in his tone.

Oh well, I ordered it online after that.

I used to go to one shop that had pretty convenient hours, location and decent stock. But the owner never seemed interested in helping me out. I would be the only one in the store and his answers (when he answered) were always one or two word grunts.

I found another shop close by with extremely limited hours (second floor of his home), but he is genuinely interested in helping me. I will sacrifice the convenience to give this guy my business. This is a fun hobby for me, I don't want to feel like I'm pestering someone every time I want to give them some of my hard earned cash!

Back