Need to kill my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoowil

Reaction score
Hello all, I am a newbie to both HBT and brewing. I made a gallon sized batch of apple cider and added potassium sorbate to kill the yeast. The problem is that it is still bubbling a day later and it is getting stronger. What I want to know is if it is safe to add more PS to the batch? TIA

Sorbate will only stop the yeast from reproducing. If you still had a good amount of yeast in there they will eat the sugars until they die off, they just won't make any more yeast to continue eating once they've dropped out. If you want to stop them completely then use sulfites. They should, however, stop soon and there should be no more problem.

if you have the capability, you could also try to get it cold so they stop.

It is hard to stop it especially when it is going strong. I would try dosing it with a coulple of crushed campden tablets if that doesn't work in about 24 hours....put it in the freezer till it is frozen solid (make sure you leave plenty of room in the containers you freeze it in to prevent it from cracking it. Then, thaw it and dose it with another (1) crushed camden tablet. Hopefully, you'll be able to fit it in your freezer.

Back