All about Eisbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiroux

Reaction score
Before I begin, 1 thing: it is not illegal. I know it have been discussed here a lot, but I checked both canadian and american federal laws, and nothing is illegal, at least for homebrewing. It is not a distillation, it's the opposite of distillation. You take out the non-alcool (water), it is called ''concentration''.

That said.

Have you tried it?

I heard mainly 2 or 3 techniques. I would like to have your comments of those, or other techniques you might come up with. If I say wrong, please tell me, if I say right, please confirm.

1 - Full slushy freezing
Take a plastic gallon jug filled with your base beer (fermented, not carb'ed). You freeze it entirely to a slushy mixture. When done, you flip the jug upside down and place it in a funnel, draining into your next container. The alcool will melt before water and fall into the next container. You stop when you are at the concentration you want.

My POV: I'm not sure what's left is ONLY water, so that might not be the more efficient way to eisbock, and certainly not the best way to control and calculate your concentration

2 - Skimming ice on top
You place the beer in a plastic bucket, that you place in the freezer. Every few hours (I guess it depends on the size of the batch), you take off the lid, and (with a sanitized tool) remove the ice on top wich is almost 100% water, because that's what freezes first. Repeat until wanted volume.

My POV: Good way to control the concentration and ABV.. A bit of work but hey...

3 - Keg technique
Well, I don't have kegs, so I can't really speak about it but, that's mainly partially freeze your beer in the keg, then push out the non-frozen beer.

My POV: don't really no, how can you see the freezing process?

Bottling/Conditionning
-If you totally freeze the beer, your yeast's dead.
-If you concentrate to an alcool level your yeast can't take, it's dead.
-But, it you partially freeze it and only skim the top ice, there are chances that enough yeast is still alive to bottle condition normally. Lager yeast are resistant.
-If you want to be safe, or if your yeast is dead, or if you're now at 14%, you can add fresh yeast, and even use ale or champagne yeast or something like. that

What I plan to do, is to take my 7.5% Doppelbock and push it to 20% (2L to 0.75L) and bottle it flat in a 750ml and let it age several months (as long as I can wait). That would be more like a malt liquor than a beer.

Brewing TV has an episode on it. What they did was add priming sugar to a 1 gallon milk jug and fill with beer. They put it in the freezer for 4 to 8 hours until it was slushy. Then they racked it straight into bottles. The beer carbed fine and it was concentrated. I am too lazy to post the link to the video but it is easy to find. Check it out if out haven't.

I don't think you should carb a strong eisbock, from what I've heard, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's more like a weak whiskey or a sipping brandy.

Brewing TV has an episode on it. What they did was add priming sugar to a 1 gallon milk jug and fill with beer. They put it in the freezer for 4 to 8 hours until it was slushy. Then they racked it straight into bottles. The beer carbed fine and it was concentrated. I am too lazy to post the link to the video but it is easy to find. Check it out if out haven't.

I've seen it. That's the technique no.1 I described

I don't think you should carb a strong eisbock, from what I've heard, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's more like a weak whiskey or a sipping brandy.

That's why I say I want to bottle it flat.

That's why I say I want to bottle it flat.

Ah, I misread when you were talking about bottle conditioning. I'm confused, if you want your eisbock to be conditioned without worrying about the yeast, I would think that you could just let it condition in a secondary before doing any freezing, right? As far as conditioning goes, I think it is less about the yeast and more about giving chemical reactions between compounds already in the beer enough time to be carried out. Why worry about the yeast?

Ah, I misread when you were talking about bottle conditioning. I'm confused, if you want your eisbock to be conditioned without worrying about the yeast, I would think that you could just let it condition in a secondary before doing any freezing, right? As far as conditioning goes, I think it is less about the yeast and more about giving chemical reactions between compounds already in the beer enough time to be carried out. Why worry about the yeast?

I talked about bottle conditionning just to mention YOU CAN carbonate it, if someone wants it. But at the end I just say mine will be flat.

That said, I'm not sure if it's better to age it in secondary or after freezing. That is quite a good question. Sounds like a microbiological/chimestry question I can't answer, but I'd like an answer!

Hmm.. well if it were me, I would let it condition for a few weeks in the secondary to let the yeast clean things up, and then I would ice treat and bottle it, and let the chemicals run their course after that.

Latest posts

Back