High temp pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iheartipa

Reaction score
Last night i thought I chilled my wort down to 70F. Turned out the read was wrong and I ended up pitching my Belgian Ardennes Wyeast at about 115F. Its now sitting in sanitized bucket, lid closed, with an airlock at room temp. No activity 10 hours in.

Questions are:

Will the yeast that I pitched survive and eventually do its thing?

If so can I expect the flavors to be undesirable?

Will a second pitch be beneficial or ill advised? (I'm awaiting shipment of new yeast pack but it's a holiday weekend and don't expect delivery anytime soon.)

Pretty hot, I'd be worried too. Use a starter? I think yeast can live up to like 140F, but a lot starts to stress and die near 120F, so you were close. My guess is that it is damaged, but will make a comeback slowly. A starter will give you a better chance. Doubt if there was enough activity while the wort was that hot to give rise to a bunch of off flavors, but just a guess. All you can do is watch and wait and have that back-up come in just in case.

Back