Using plastic carboy for sour wort berliner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeneugs

Reaction score
I’m planning on running off my mash into a plastic carboy and then throwing in some grain and souring it up for a couple days… will this infect the carboy and make it unusable for clean beers? I’m thinking yes, but want to confirm.

I can confirm that plastic doesn't always get infected with sour bugs, but it does happen often enough that you shouldn't try to put a clean beer in there after a sour. I have two plastic buckets, tubing, a bottling bucket, etc, that will never see clean beer again.

You could do a sour mash, then boil and proceed as usual. That basically makes a non-infected berliner weisse. I I wouldn't try it with any other sour, but berliners aren't trying to get that many complexities.

You could do a sour mash, then boil and proceed as usual. That basically makes a non-infected berliner weisse. I I wouldn't try it with any other sour, but berliners aren't trying to get that many complexities.

That's a great suggestion, but I have a keggle as a mash tun so it would be hard to seal it up during the sour mash.

It doesn't need to be air-tight. Saran Wrap the handles, put a flat piece of plastic, wood, metal, or cardboard on the top. If you're at all interested in sour/wild beers, read Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow. There are so many things in Belgian Breweries that would give heart attacks to health inspectors over here.

For my first Berliner, I fermented in a keg that I had no immediate need for. Stainless doesn't get infected as easily, and is much easier to sanitize if it does harbor something.

Joeneugs said:
I’m planning on running off my mash into a plastic carboy and then throwing in some grain and souring it up for a couple days… will this infect the carboy and make it unusable for clean beers? I’m thinking yes, but want to confirm.

Whether or not you need to use separate equipment for clean and wild beers on the homebrew scale is often debated, you'll have to decide for yourself.

I'd be a lot more concerned that mashing out into a better bottle will probably melt it.

Back