I need to get a mill - any advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCookieMonster

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to be buy a mill. I'm having a hard time finding information for any information on mills (like some of the pitfalls associated with getting the lowest price ones).

I know the milling can effect efficiency.. does anyone have any comments before I buy one?

I would like to get this one:

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0102165/crankandstein-2s

Any help would be appreciated!

I have the Barley Crusher and am very happy with it, A very good mill for the money.
Randy the owner is a great guy too and stands behind his product.

+1 for the Barley Crusher. I've got the one with the 7lb hopper and am very happy with it as well.

Hi,

I need to be buy a mill. I'm having a hard time finding information for any information on mills (like some of the pitfalls associated with getting the lowest price ones).

I know the milling can effect efficiency.. does anyone have any comments before I buy one?

I would like to get this one:

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0102165/crankandstein-2s

Any help would be appreciated!

A nice mill that should work very well...adjustment is a bit more involved than the more expensive models...but it should work very well when set...If you are handy w/ some mechanical apptitude, I would think the adjustment is easy.

Wow that Malt Mill is expensive.

I think you can take off the handle, and then use a drill on the nub to crank it in a circular motion. I saw someone on a video do that.

There is plenty of discussion of mills both on this forum and elsewhere. Just google grain mill or any of the big manufacturers. I think if you go with any of the major brands out there you are going to be OK. It is a question of what you want to spend and what your needs are. I think you will find tons of happy users and recommendations for the BC Barley crusher as well as the Crankandstein and Monster Mills. They are all established products with good support.

I did a bunch of research a while back and went with the Monster MM2. I later added their hopper as I never got the time to build my own and I am quite happy. From what I read I felt the build was a bit more robust than the Barley Crusher, not that the Barley Crusher is a bad product. The BC gives you about the best cost for a use out of the box product.

Some swear by the 3 roller Monster Mill and Crankandsteins. I am fine with the 2 roller models. As to the Crankandstein you are looking at, I personally would prefer the easier adjustment of the 2A, or the 2D but that is where your price tolerance comes into play. This is an item you will use for many years, so bear that in mind when balancing costs vs features.

Back