Bubbling in the airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subzero829

Reaction score
I am working on my first batch ever. Currently I have my 5 gallon batch in my fermenter as of about 5 minutes ago and am wondering how long does it normally take before you see bubbling in your air lock?

Depends, 24-72 hours isn't uncommon. If you are using a bucket with a bad seal you might not see airlock activity at all. Airlock activity is not a sign of fermentation. It is just a result of it.

The only way to know you have fermentation is visible signs, Krausen, yeast swirling etc. Or by taking a hydrometer reading. If you pitched healthy yeast at a temperature that won't kill them into a sugar environment you have fermentation. Just be patient.

My first two started in 4-8 hours but my understanding is a lot of factors determine how long and how much.

I pitched last weekend and never actually saw any air lock activity. This of course caused me to freak out, but all for not. Fermentation happened just fine and sure enough I made beer!

Back