Using white wheat and rye - too much crystal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veronis

Reaction score
I'm trying to achieve something malty and agreeable, but not cloyingly sweet. Yards Thomas Jefferson Tavern Ale is a good example of what I'm going for, but with lower ABV.

I tried to keep the crystal amounts low, but white wheat has a malty character of its own that I'm not altogether familiar with.

Batch Size: 5 gallons
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.0 IBUs

Code:
Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
8.0 oz                Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)                     Adjunct       1        3.9 %         
6 lbs                 Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         2        47.1 %          
1 lbs 8.0 oz          Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)                       Grain         4        11.8 %        
8.0 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)    Grain         5        3.9 %         
4.0 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)   Grain         6        2.0 %         
1.00 oz               Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - First Wor Hop           7        20.8 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         9        -             
1 lbs                 Honey (1.0 SRM)                          Sugar         10       7.8 %

Mash temp 152.

I am aiming for malt but not sweet and find that the regular 3/4 to 1 1/2 lbs of crystal in most recipes makes them too sweet. Underattenuated. I think it is chloride in my water. My city neglects to report carbonate calcium sulphate or chloride in the water report, and I am too cheap to get it tested. But I may be getting sweeter than expected from chloride and or sodium naturally higher than normal in my water supply?- which would throw a normal recipe to the cloying side while most other towns' water would make a beer with 1lb of crystal that tastes normal. So, my last two batches havn't had any crystal and they seem more malty than sweet, though not malty enough, yet.

For some point of reference, I've brewed an amber with 1 lb 60L and 1 lb white wheat, mashed at 154, us-05. This also had two lbs munich and I would put the final beer in the middle range for maltyness, could have been more malty, fg was 1013.
cheers

You have less than 6% crystal- that's certainly not too much. I've never had that beer, so I can't say if the recipe is close or not. You have nearly 12% rye, and that should be fairly discernible if that's what you want.

Back