Tap-a-Draft dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodsuds

Reaction score
About 10 days ago I racked my batch of cream ale into 3 Tap-a-Draft bottles. I primed 2 of the bottles but decided to try force carbonating one. The beer had been in the primary for 3 weeks and it had attenuated to where I expected. On Friday I decided to sample some of the beer but it wasn't properly carbonated and still tasted green. There is no leak, there is plenty of CO2 in the bottle (the bottle is very firm) and a ton of foam if I draw any beer, but the beer itself basically tastes flat and green.

So Friday evening I took the bottle out of the fridge and put it in my closet with the other 2. I was hoping that bringing it up to room temp for a couple of weeks would help the yeast condition the beer. After 2 days sitting at room temp I heard the pressure relief valve purge a bunch of CO2. I'm wondering if I should pull the tap off and put some priming sugar in it and seal it up for a few more weeks. I'm sure the sugar will help it condition and carbonate, but I don't want a bottle bomb.

Or, instead of putting in priming sugar can I just carefully pull the tap off and put a regular cap on it? I'm assuming that since there is CO2 in the bottle that the beer won't spoil or oxidize, and that at room temp the yeast will still be at work conditioning the beer. *EDIT* - to be clear my reason for considering this is so in a week I can tap one of the primed bottles and let this one condition a bit longer.

I'd like to figure out what I can do so I can start drinking the beer. If anyone can offer any advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Hi

If the pressure relief blew, then there was already more CO2 in the bottle than it could deal with at room temperature. Weather you get it from sugar or from a cartridge, it's the same stuff, and you will get the same result. The key issue is allowing it enough time at a low enough temperature for the CO2 to fully dissolve and give you your target number of volumes of CO2 in the beer.

Bob

Latest posts

Back