Beer Concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klyph

Reaction score
http://www.patsbcb.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=18

So apparently they are trying to market a beer concentrate for backpackers. You pour the syrup into a nalgene bottle, add water, then using a carbonator cap for the nalgene bottle, hit it with CO2 to make...

Instant Beer!

b8_internalPhotos_Carbonators.jpg

Anyway, any ideas on how they are making the syrup? They say specifically that they dont evaporate the water off, but how can you ferment at such a high sugar content with no dilution? Anyways I hope the product hits the market so that I can give it a try. Maybe one day, MRE's will have a little pouch of instant beer along with those cool little bottles of tabasco.

That's awesome. Even has alcohol!

I've read that some university students in the Netherlands have created a beer powder, that just needs water. That seems more impressive than a syrup, but I'm guessing there's no alcohol.

Maybe they just add pure ethanol to hopped extract? You couldn't evaporate the water out of finished beer because alcohol boils off much sooner than that. I think they are freeze distilling.

Maybe they just add pure ethanol to hopped extract? You couldn't evaporate the water out of finished beer because alcohol boils off much sooner than that. I think they are freeze distilling.

I think so too.

And the only ecologically practical way to package this product is in biodegradeable, gutted carcasses of of friendly, furry, wildlife......

Oh wait, hasn't this been done before?

They tried this with the East India Company, before IPAs were around (Hops and Glory, read it). It didn't work then either.

I think they are freeze distilling.
my thoughts exactly. EISBEER - take the water out and add it back later.

i just take JD and dehydrated apple cider backpacking and vuela, you have applejacks!! it's great evenyone should try it! and it's very convenient when you have to consider the weight you're carrying on the backcountry trails. not having beer in the backcountry is always our incentive to get back to civilization...

Unlike other concentrate processes, this is not just about making the beer and then "removing" the water afterwards (which is extremely energy inefficient). Instead, our process (patent pending) allows us to start with almost no water, and carefully control the environment of the fermentation

Also, if you look here:
http://www.patsbcb.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=29

They are REALLY vague about it, but it kind of sounds like freeze distilling, and it kinda doesn't. I mean, with the 372 times they mention "patent pending" how can they patent freeze distilling? There's gotta be something else going on here.

Back