I think I messed up...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tojo

Reaction score
Well I am new to homebrewing and did my first batch last week with the help of a friend who is already doing his own brews. I wanted to get one done on my own so I purchased a NB Winter Warmer to try out.

Well all went well in the beginning. I followed the instructions and then.......I got a bit ahead of myself. After steeping the grains, I immediately added the liquid malt before coming to a boil. My question to you all did this newbie screw the pooch on this one? Will I end up getting some awful swill because the malt will burn?

As long as you stirred it up good and it didn't scorch the bottom of your pot you should be fine. It's a good idea to take the pot off the heat while you add the extract and stir it, then bring it back to a boil so you don't get any scorching.

No worries, you're fine. In the future, turn the flame off as you stir the extract in. This will avoid scorching. Then bump the flame and bring to a boil.

At worst, you have some dark marks on the bottom of your kettle. But you still have beer.

Yeah it will be fine. Probably darker and with a SMALL amount of flavor somewhere between brown sugar and burned sugar but nothing to worry about.

RDWHAHB etc.

This won't be the last time you think you screwed up your beer. I think that with almost every batch and they all turn out great! I think you really have to try, or really deviate from the recipe to get poor results.

Thanks all for the input. I did have a small scorch on the bottom of the kettle. It was about 4inches in diameter. The smell/color/taste didn't seem to be too bad. I dipped the tip of my finger in the sample after I took my OG. Oh well, fingers crossed and we will see what happens as time goes on.

I have been able to smell the burn in mine during the boil and it still had no effect on the flavor later. You will be just fine.

Well I am new to homebrewing and did my first batch last week with the help of a friend who is already doing his own brews. I wanted to get one done on my own so I purchased a NB Winter Warmer to try out.

Well all went well in the beginning. I followed the instructions and then.......I got a bit ahead of myself. After steeping the grains, I immediately added the liquid malt before coming to a boil. My question to you all did this newbie screw the pooch on this one? Will I end up getting some awful swill because the malt will burn?

I do that all the time and I've never had bad beer.

In the future you might want to add your extract more towards the end of the boil. Your beers will turn out lighter and there will be less carmelization. Your current brew will be fine though.

Back