Hop Times - Dogfish Head Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haputanlas

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Sort of a weird question. I read online about Dogfish Head's technique with using hops in their IPAs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I got the impression that they would add hops for every minute that the wort was boiling. Is that correct? If so, do you just evenly put in hops every minute until it's done? Or do you add larger bulks of hops at the 60/15/5 intervals for Bittering/Flavor/Aroma(While still adding a certain amount of hops every minute)?

Also, is this noted as being a method to get a more well-rounded hop profile?

Just trying to understand the logic.

TIA

Justin

Yes, it's said to have constant hops additions. I think I read somewhere that he started out using one of those old electric football table games to vibrate the hops into the kettle.

Don't know if that's true or not though. :p

Thanks, but do you know if the hop adding process requires larger bulk amounts at the 60/15/5 intervals? Or is it just even amounts of hops every minute?

Anyone tried this technique?

Justin

I've got this is my primary right now. I made an extract (w/steeping grains) from the Extreme Brewing book that the Dogfish Head guy wrote. It was all done gradually except a 1/2 oz of Amarillo at flameout.

I also read about the electric football game used as his first continuous hop dispenser in a New Yorker article a couple of years a go.

Sir Hops Alot

3769090969_49541430ba.jpg

If I remember correctly from his book, Extreme Brewing, he says for the 60 min IPA recipe to combine all three hop varieties and add them to the boil at a rate that will take the entire 60 minutes for them to be used up. To me, that sounds like you would add them uniformly throughout the boil.

I recently "continually hopped" a beer where I measured out and divided my hops out so I had even additions every 3 minutes. I did not add more at any specific times though. Punching the recipe into Beersmith was a huge pain for all the additions but it turns out it is 103 IBUs! haha

When I make Yooper's recipe (posted above) I try to even them out. The bittering over the first 25 mins, then the flavouring ones. If you need to take a 5 min bathroom break though that's fine.

Latest posts

Back