666 Ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougan

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Safale US 05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Tasty
I created this as a solution to the large amount of various hops I have had lying around. I call it 666 IPA because according to ProMash, it is 66.6 IBUs. It may be difficult to get 66.6 IBUs because the hops I used are various buildups of extra hops from several sources, having different IBUs. However if you brew this, I'll still call it a 666 IPA either way.

Grain/extract
------------------
7.5 lb Briess Gold DME
.25 lb crystal 20L
.25 lb crystal 40L
.25 lb caramunich 45L

Hop Schedule
-----------------
1.0 oz 9.0%AA Centennial 60 min
1.0 oz 7.5%AA Cascade 30
0.5 oz 5.4%AA Cascade 20
0.5 oz 5.4%AA Cascade 15
0.5 oz 9.0%AA Centennial 5
0.5 oz 5.4%AA Cascade 5
0.5 oz 9.0%AA Centennial DRY (3 days)
0.5 oz 5.4%AA Cascade DRY (3 days)

I only dry hopped for three days so it would not impart the grassy flavor I usually get from dry hopping. It definitely worked as expected. The hop flavor wasn't as strong, though, so if you follow in my anti-grassy footsteps and still want a strong dry hop flavor you might want to up it to 1 oz of each.

Irish Moss % 15 min. I had two packets of Safale US-05 lying around and I brewed this as a last-minute decision, so foregoing the starter, I just pitched both packets.

I think the hopping on this beer was exactly what I was looking for. The malt flavor was good as well, although a bit sweet. The next time I brew this, I plan to use 6 lb of Briess Gold DME and 1.5 lb of sugar to dry it out a bit. It's still delicious the way I listed it though.

I technically only put in secondary for 3 days because I kegged afterwards. I'd recommend primary 7 (unless fermentation goes long, 1.070 might make that happen)
and then secondary 14 with the last 3 being a dry hop if you go by my 3-day dry hop plan.

Back