Effect of Pickup Tube on Pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWMushroom

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased this pickup tube since my bulkhead would otherwise leave about a gallon of wort behind:

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=157

Upon inspection it's obvious that inner diameter of the pickup tube is significantly smaller than my 1/2" ball valve.

What effect will this have on my Chugger Pump? Will it make it work harder, potentially shortening its life?

I'm probably over-thinking this but wondered why the pickup tube is so much narrower and if this would potentially damage my pump.

I'll be whirlpooling, so not as concerned about hop debris/break material.

Also, what is the advantage of this over a basic 90 elbow that retains the larger internal diameter?

I wouldn't worry about it damaging your pump, the magnetic drive pumps are pretty resilient.

Not sure about what advantage it has, maybe easier to clean?

-G

Pumping near boiling liquids with a restriction on the suction side of the pump can cause cavitation meaning bubbles form and accumulate in the pump head losing prime. It's why we recommend 5/8" tubing on the dip tube. In a flat bottom pot there is NO reason to use a compression fitting based dip tube.

I recently purchased this pickup tube since my bulkhead would otherwise leave about a gallon of wort behind:

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=157

Upon inspection it's obvious that inner diameter of the pickup tube is significantly smaller than my 1/2" ball valve.

What effect will this have on my Chugger Pump? Will it make it work harder, potentially shortening its life?

I'm probably over-thinking this but wondered why the pickup tube is so much narrower and if this would potentially damage my pump.

I'll be whirlpooling, so not as concerned about hop debris/break material.

Also, what is the advantage of this over a basic 90 elbow that retains the larger internal diameter?

Good points. Everything outside the kettle is 1/2" and yet we have undersized pickup tubes. I don't think you are over thinking this issue at all. Thanks for bringing this up:mug:

In a flat bottom pot there is NO reason to use a compression fitting based dip tube.

Interesting. With the position of my ball valve I need something... Are you saying in flat bottomed kettles you recommend a basic 90 elbow... Or nothing at all? I'm trying to get away from tipping the kettle to get more wort in the fermenter.

In any case, I have a pickup tube now, just need to cut about 1/8" off it first so it fits properly... Just the smaller ID of the pickup tube got me thinking, is all!

I think what he's saying is to use 5/8" tubing and no ferrule or crimp. Use two O rings instead to seal the connection.

On a flat bottom pot, the most practical and economical dip tube is a simple threaded elbow. If you have a welded in coupling, it would be a street elbow and a 5/8" hose barb to reach down. That's $9 as opposed to $20+. The diptubes that use a compression fitting a a bent length of tubing are reasonable for a keg given how far they have to reach.

While I'm running a business and would love to sell everyone $20 diptubes, I'd rather everyone get exactly what they need without overspending.

While I'm running a business and would love to sell everyone $20 diptubes, I'd rather everyone get exactly what they need without overspending.

Bobby, I placed an order with you about 3 hours ago. It was not because you were the cheapest or the only one who had what I wanted. I placed the order with you because of the above, and this is not the first time I have seen you give the right advice instead of what could make you the most money.

Back