Saf23 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamgarrison

Reaction score
Two and a half weeks ago I brewed "Heinekel". This is going to be a lager. I used lager yeast (safligner23) and kept the beer in 70 degree termperature. The yeast calls for 50-59 degree climate for fermentation. I only kept it at room temp because I was told this was okay to do with this particular brand of yeast. While in the primary fermentor, there was no bubbling in the air lock. When I opened the beer to transfer to the secondary, it was not bubbling inside. The sediment is falling to the bottom as if the process is fine. The beer is rather clear for the malts that I used.

The ironic part about this is the beer actually tastes fine, as if the process occured properly. I have since placed the beer in the outside closet, where the temperature is at 48-54 degrees. I have noticed fluctuations in the airlock since I switched it to the secondary and placed it outside.

OG was 7.8% ABV...SG is currently 3% ABV.

Did I screw this up, or is this just dumb luck that the process was maintained it's integrity and the beer will be fine?

Cooling the beer down will cause the liquid to contract and make the airlock act funny. You probably didn't have a good seal on the fermented for the majority of the fermentation, therefore the airlock didn't bubble. If it tastes good, awesome! It fermented without you knowing about it. Next time try fermenting it at 50F and it will be even better.

Also, you should use the numbers on your hydrometer that look like 1.015, not the abv part.

Back