Need your help! What style is this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IdahoBen

Reaction score
Hey Guys -

Wanted to share a recipe that I have been refining for years but I still am not sure what style it would really fall under. *Is it a Wit? Is it a Hefe? Is it a hybrid of the two? What are your thoughts?

This is one of the most popular recipes that we brew during the summer months. *I would love to get your feedback on it as well as any ideas or suggestions that you may have to make it even better. *This one is hard to categorize as it is almost a Hefe/Wit hybrid. *

The recipe is current as follows:

Ingredients:

.75lbs Crystal 20 Malt
8oz Honey Malt
1lb Orange Blossom Honey (60 minutes)
7lbs Alexander's Sun Country L.M.E.
1oz. Willamette Hops (60 minutes)
.5oz Tettnanger Hops (15 minutes)
.5oz Tettnanger Hops (dry)
1/2oz Dried Orange Peel (20 minutes)
Irish Moss/Whirlfloc (15 minutes)
WLP 410 Belgian Wit II Yeast

Steep the Crystal 20 & Honey Malt at 155 degrees for 30 minutes. *Remove from heat and add honey and L.M.E. *Boil for 60 minutes and add hops per schedule. *Dry hop when transferring to secondary with the .5oz Tettnanger.

Primary for 5 days. *Secondary for 7 days.

Well, I would say that if it is not the wheat malt and just the pale than I would certainly find difficulty in calling it either one. However, I am going to assume it was the wheat malt. I would say given the honey and dried orange peel addition, as well as, the wit yeast I would certainly call this a wit. I (as a german haha) don't feel hefe should have any direct spice additions... it should all come from yeast strain choice and manipulation:mug:

Yea sorry I didn't specify but it was Wheat. Thanks for your thoughts. I was leaning towards Wit but wanted to get some outside opinions!

Back