Splitting 5 gallons into 2 secondary fermentations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andini

Reaction score
Hey all. I started making a stout a couple days ago, and it's in the fermenter now (5 gallons). My plan all along was to try adding coffee to secondary fermentation, but I'm wondering if I can get away splitting the batch into two secondary fermenters and adding the coffee to just one of them. That way, I can see exactly how the coffee affects the beer (and if I totally over/undershoot the amount of coffee I should add, I'm not stuck with 5 gallons of it).

My issue is that I only have 5-6 gallon carboys. Is it a problem to move only 2.5 gallons of beer to a 5 gallon fermenter for secondary? I can't think of a problem off-hand, but I also don't know very much yet about how this all works.

Thanks!

My issue is that I only have 5-6 gallon carboys. Is it a problem to move only 2.5 gallons of beer to a 5 gallon fermenter for secondary? I can't think of a problem off-hand, but I also don't know very much yet about how this all works.

Thanks!

How about too much headspace?

At that stage of the fermentation, it's not kicking out much CO2. The empty space in the carboys is going to be mostly air for a while. I'd be concerned about oxygenation.

Look around and see if you can pick up a couple of Mr. Beer 'little brown keg" (LBK) fermenters. They'd be just the right size for what you want to do. 3 gallon Better Bottles would work too.

Back