first milk stout - good news, bad news

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobdozer

Reaction score
I've had a batch of brewers best milk stout in the bottles 8 days as of now. With my superhuman self control, I decided I needed to try one tonight. They have been sitting in the dark right at about 70F. I pulled one straight from the box into a glass. Much to my surprise it was great. The aroma, mouthfeel and taste were all there. It was slightly undercarbed, but that's to be expected at this point.

The only problem is a slight bitter taste on the back of my tongue. It has been present on 3 of my batches that I have used nottingham yeast. Anyone else have similar problems with nottingham?

I've used Notty on a couple of batches (BB Kolsch and BB English Brown, IIRC) and didn't get a bitter taste or aftertaste. Both were quite clean, actually. The english brown had a great hoppy character that I really enjoyed.

I don't use Nottingham anymore because of the that taste. Every beer I did with it had great flavor until you swallowed. Then it became a dry, water getting sucked off the back of your tongue like astringency.

That's exactly what I'm having. I think after this I will be going to either liquid yeast or safeale. Had real good luck with ahs smithwicks clone with wlp-04

Back