Deschutes Black Butte Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Don't flame me guys! I'm just an old Miller Lite drinker who used to be a homebrewer, who is soon to be another homebrewer! Instead of drinking my usual Miller Lite, I have been experimenting with different beers that I have never had, so I can come up with something I would like to brew.

I went to the local liquor store this afternoon and picked up a 6-pack of Sam Adams Oktoberfest and a 6-pack of Deschutes Black Butte Porter, and a pint of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier dark. I quickly downed the hefe, and all I could say was wow! I could taste a clove taste right off the bat. It just got better!

Then I moved on to the Black Butte Porter. I have never had a porter before, but the first taste revealed a great chocolate taste! I am now on my second one, and have not even tried the Sam Adams yet. May not try it tonight because the porter is so good!

I have found a few recipes to clone the Black Butte Porter, and think I may have to give this a try when I get back in to brewing. I am waiting on finding a small chest freezer to make a keezer for fermentation temperature control, and as soon as I save up just a little bit of money, I will be ready to order supplies and get back into brewing.

I do like wheat beers, but just found out tonight I really like porters! Anyone want to suggest a good extract wheat beer recipe or another good extract porter recipe I could start out with. I plan on kegging instead of bottling, as I already picked up a small refrigerator for free.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Edit to add: I lied! Just tried one of the Sam Adams Oktoberfest. It is very good also! May have a slight headache when I go to work tomorrow!!

Don't flame me guys! I'm just an old Miller Lite drinker who used to be a homebrewer, who is soon to be another homebrewer! Instead of drinking my usual Miller Lite, I have been experimenting with different beers that I have never had, so I can come up with something I would like to brew.

I went to the local liquor store this afternoon and picked up a 6-pack of Sam Adams Oktoberfest and a 6-pack of Deschutes Black Butte Porter, and a pint of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier dark. I quickly downed the hefe, and all I could say was wow! I could taste a clove taste right off the bat. It just got better!

Then I moved on to the Black Butte Porter. I have never had a porter before, but the first taste revealed a great chocolate taste! I am now on my second one, and have not even tried the Sam Adams yet. May not try it tonight because the porter is so good!

I have found a few recipes to clone the Black Butte Porter, and think I may have to give this a try when I get back in to brewing. I am waiting on finding a small chest freezer to make a keezer for fermentation temperature control, and as soon as I save up just a little bit of money, I will be ready to order supplies and get back into brewing.

I do like wheat beers, but just found out tonight I really like porters! Anyone want to suggest a good extract wheat beer recipe or another good extract porter recipe I could start out with. I plan on kegging instead of bottling, as I already picked up a small refrigerator for free.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

I like their porter too. Try the stout, equally as good. Do a search I bet you can find a recipe.

i'm not a huge fan of porters, but i do like black butte - very well done...deschutes' mirror pond pale ale is also awesome, imo it's better than sierra nevada PA

Deschutes is the most non-colorado craft brew I drink, would love to try their reserve series porters and stout.

Latest posts

Back